No New - Just Starting Over

Hello Guys, yes me again. Sorry for the continuing questions. I just want to be a prepared as possible for my "new life" as an informed pool owner. And maybe I need to repeat, I have run my pump (almost) 24x7x365x8yrs. With my new AutoPilot, that sucker (actually pumper) will be going on the AutoPilot timer.

My question is, in your opinion, what is the optimum run duration and time? Another way to ask it, what is the optimum amount of time (hours) to run the pump in a day, and at what time of the day?

As usual, thanks for all of your help. You guys are GREAT!!

I have a Hayward S244 sand filter. And I for the life of me cannot remember to verify the HP rating on my Hayward pump.

Mister Mister

There are a couple of tradeoffs about running during the day vs at night. None of these are really crucial, either way will work. First, electric rates vary is some areas between day and night. In those areas running at night is less expensive, sometimes dramatically so. Second, if you have a SWG or Liquidator, running during the day will maintain more uniform chlorine levels and possibly allow you to run at lower FC levels. Third, if your system supports it, it is better to split you run time up into two or more chunks at different times of day. That improves the overall mixing of the water. Fourth, many people like to have the pump running while they are swimming.

Ok, I have yet another question. I will be installing my new AutoPilot soon. I was planning on how\where I am going to install the manifold. My system currently has a tablet chlorine inline feeder. With the possible future need of needing the tablets/pucks to add CYA, I've decided it would be a good idea to leave the chlorine feeder as part of the system. So now for my question. Is the better to have the chlorine feeder before or after the AutoPilot in the piping? Or does it matter? Or is one way maybe slightly better, or not. In my system, I'm thinking it would be easier to mount the chlorine feeder before the AutoPilot, but either way is possible. So chlorine feeder first, Autopilot first. What do you think?

Thanks,
Mister Mister

My suggestion would be to start a new thread in the SWG section with Autopilot in the heading. This way Poolsean (who works for Autopilot and is one of our regulars on here) will be sure to see it and get the correct answer to you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.