No Free Chlorine?

What's the goal for my CYA to be at? Pool calc told me to drain about half the pool. I'm just worried about draining that all at once. Which is why I was thinking to drain a little at a time.
50 is a reasonable number. But you still don't know exactly what your CYA level is, do you? The lines get awfully close together, and it's a hard test anyway. What you see as 100 could well be 120 or 130. You might need to replace 75%. That's why Extended Test Kit Directions says
If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
  • Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  • Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  • Shake briefly to mix.
  • Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  • Continue the test normally from step 3, but multiply the final result by two.
Draining it in stages is not a bad idea, but the bigger the replacement each time, the faster it will go and the less wasted water. 10% of your pool will only be maybe 4 or 5 inches at a time.

50 is a reasonable number. But you still don't know exactly what your CYA level is, do you? The lines get awfully close together, and it's a hard test anyway. What you see as 100 could well be 120 or 130. You might need to replace 75%. That's why Extended Test Kit Directions says Draining it in stages is not a bad idea, but the bigger the replacement each time, the faster it will go and the less wasted water. 10% of your pool will only be maybe 4 or 5 inches at a time.

This is all correct, I'm not 100% sure yet. Like I said, it was close on that 100 line. So when I get home I'll do the extended test to find out for sure. To make sure it's hopefully not higher than 100. So I'll report back later this afternoon when I get a chance to do that. But either way it sounds like I'm going to be draining a decent chunk of my pool regardless.

One thing, the way my pool is situated in the yard there's really almost never shade on the pool. From probably about 9am-6pm it's under constant heat from the sun. There's literally no trees around the pool and the house behind us that could cause shade is a small ranch so it never actually effects it. From what I understand CYA is kind of used to help the chlorine not get eaten up by the sun? With the knowledge of how much sun the pool gets on a day-to-day basis, should the CYA be kept on the higher end? Or should it still be lowered to that 30-50 range?

So, I'm trying to figure out how to do the waste feature. I'm assuming I need to shut off my jets and skimmers so the filter doesn't suck air when the water gets low? Or does waste mode circumvent that somehow? Is there anything else that needs to happen?

6f2d244d580118e14906ec2bb1a9b9ce.jpg

Here's a photo of the setup if it helps at all.

Also, I did the extended test for the CYA and came to 80 this time around. Yesterday it was rainy and gloomy out, I'm thinking the dark sky may have made it artificially harder to see the dot.

Yeah, I figured out what I have to do from Google. The issue is I can't figure out how to ONLY drain from the drain in the deep end. Here's a photo of the main valve. When it's turned to 1, one of the skimmers works; 2, the other skimmer works; and 1/2 seems to drain both of the skimmers just slower. Anyone have any ideas how to turn off the skimmers and ONLY drain from the main drain at the bottom?

827694ca833798a407efbacf833ce01b.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm, definitely didn't notice anything like that. They left the number of the company who usually closes their pool. The guy said he could swing by tomorrow and take a look. Said max charge would be about $75. Same as you said he'd really need to See it in person. I'm thinking it's worth $75 to have someone figure this all out for me so I can label the cables and all. Do your think that's a decent deal?

Hmm, definitely didn't notice anything like that. They left the number of the company who usually closes their pool. The guy said he could swing by tomorrow and take a look. Said max charge would be about $75. Same as you said he'd really need to See it in person. I'm thinking it's worth $75 to have someone figure this all out for me so I can label the cables and all. Do your think that's a decent deal?
On a Holiday Weekend at the start of Summer, I'd call it a steal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.