No flow through the skimmer when filtering, water always goes through solar panels

Mandrake

Silver Supporter
May 26, 2016
Setauket
Hi,

I have two problems that may or may not be related:
1. No matter what the weather is, water always goes through solar panels, which should not happen (should only go if the water temperature in solar panels is at least 5 degrees higher than in the pool).

2. When I start filtering, initially, all is fine. I have nice pressure (22) in the DE filter, there is flow through skimmers and returns. However, after an hour or two, there is no visible flow through skimmers, and very little or no flow through returns. I still hear water going to the solar panels though (they are on my roof, and the pipes are passing by the kitchen window). If I am just recirculating, there is no problem.

I have Pentair FNS Plus (48sq. ft) DE filter, my grids are about 2-3 years old, and I cleaned them last week. The pressure did not change since, so I don't think they are clogged. I have Intelliflo variable speed pump, and I am typically running it at 2800rpm, which gives me filter pressure of around 20. My pool is irregular shape, according to previous owner its 42,000 gallons, but according to my math it's too big. It's certainly over 30,000 gallons though.

Any idea what might be causing the problem?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.