No CYA - How is this possible?

Still didn't pass the OCLT test after scrubbing the skimmers, stairs and removing the ladder. I looked up my light - it is a Nicheless light. I've tried to search the forums but haven't found an answer to my question. If it is a nicheless light, does that mean that algae can't get back there? Or does nicheless just mean a method of installation?

The instruction manual only talks about replacing the light, not removing it for cleaning, and the instructions say I need to get a new lens gasket if I reassembling the light. But I wouldn't be reassembling, just removing? I assume there is a difference, but since I've never done this, it seems intimidating to me. It is a Pentair Aqualumin III Nicheless Pool Light. I won't be able to get that looked at until tomorrow night if so when my husband can help. Thanks!

Keep searching. The algae is somewhere light can reach. Did you check the back of weir doors and the foam behind them? Any main drains

No main drains. I can't figure out how to take the weir door off to get the foam off to check under it. Trying to look on youtube for tutorials but my skimmer doors seem to be pretty old and I'm concerned about breaking them without learning how to do it properly. It's a tough area to work in, without being able to see in there well. Thanks!

Can you take a picture of your skimmer throat? Careful not to drop any device in the water, so maybe zoom in on it from the other side of the pool? Maybe I can find a video too :)

You’re so nice!! These are as good as I can get. It feels like there is a tab on one side only but can’t figure out what to do with it. It doesn’t seem to activate any sort of mechanism to free the door. I’m sure I’m just inept. I do see black stuff on this photo - would this be algae? I’ve used the magic eraser on the throat but apparently it didn’t seem to do anything. Obviously there are nooks and crannies there I need to remove the door and clean. I really hope this is the problem and I can find the solution. There are two skimmers to clean. I don’t see any markings as far as manufacturer on it nor in any of my paperwork from previous owners.

Attachments

• 49B7995D-15D1-4394-8878-CAE435787EEE.jpeg
    49B7995D-15D1-4394-8878-CAE435787EEE.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 6F886293-89C2-467A-A2C6-1805C716B40F.jpeg
    6F886293-89C2-467A-A2C6-1805C716B40F.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 9E8553A8-EF8A-4B81-91C1-85F40678F463.jpeg
    9E8553A8-EF8A-4B81-91C1-85F40678F463.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 27
I can't see a video specific that looks just like that one. I'll see if someone else chimes in on how weir doors are removed. I honestly haven't had to do it on mine yet... >.> The plastic of the door may just need to be bent until the tab that goes into the side of the skimmer throat can come loose, but I'll see if someone else can verify.

I can't see a video specific that looks just like that one. I'll see if someone else chimes in on how weir doors are removed. I honestly haven't had to do it on mine yet... >.> The plastic of the door may just need to be bent until the tab that goes into the side of the skimmer throat can come loose, but I'll see if someone else can verify.

9030C347-79F5-494E-BE00-C807FD8B38B3.pngWhen I had to replace mine, it was this basic style. I had to get to it from the front. I just used a flat head screwdriver to wedge between the tab and popped it out. The slots cut into each side lets it move so the tabs can pop out. It’s a bit confusing to figure out, but super simple to actually do.

Wasn’t able to get to it last night - we had rain. But I did check the FC before bed and it was 16. Dropped overnight to 11. Quite a bit of dead material again on the floor. Ugh. Could there be anything alive in the filter that is causing this? I’m planning to backwash tonight. And attempt to get those weir doors off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There's no sunlight in the filter, so algae can't reach it. Are there any folds in the liner? Main drain, anything else that light could reach that you can't see?

There's no sunlight in the filter, so algae can't reach it. Are there any folds in the liner? Main drain, anything else that light could reach that you can't see?
Thank you for the info about the filter. No main drains, no folds. It’s insane to me that even if the weir doors have some algae that they are causing this much growth every day. Every 1-3 hours it’s dropping 1-2 ppm throughout the day. I bought 8 gallons of LC on Tuesday and I’m already out. I feel like I can’t possibly keep up with this for much longer to the extent I do. I’m running the robot, brushing multiple times a day, testing often and emptying skimmers all day. Should I try for an even higher FC level?

If the pool is crystal clear and losing FC like that it has to be hidden algae somewhere. It'll form a film over itself to protect itself from the FC - that's why the scrubbing is important, to break that up and get the algae into the water to die to the elevated FC. I don't think increasing the FC will help, as it's high enough to kill and clear the pool. Still, double-checking your CYA to make sure you've got a good target is a good idea.

Maybe check the robot and make sure it doesn't have algae in it? Make sure that's cleaned out well? Could you take photos of the pool from multiple angles to see if we can spot something that might be harboring algae?

Reactions: Texas Splash
I have been reading this thread and it seems you’ve already done a lot. If you haven’t cleaned your filter yet, maybe try that? Even if it doesn’t seem to need it, there maybe algae.

Maybe time for another CYA test? It's either algae or the sun. If you can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test this evening that would help confirm.
I’ll do another cya test today. I’ve done the oclt every night and it’s failed every time. It’s dropped anywhere between 3 and 6 ppm. Last night it dropped 5 ppm. Testing in darkness with pump running 24/7. Tested at 6:30 am with no sunlight on pool.

If the pool is crystal clear and losing FC like that it has to be hidden algae somewhere. It'll form a film over itself to protect itself from the FC - that's why the scrubbing is important, to break that up and get the algae into the water to die to the elevated FC. I don't think increasing the FC will help, as it's high enough to kill and clear the pool. Still, double-checking your CYA to make sure you've got a good target is a good idea.

Maybe check the robot and make sure it doesn't have algae in it? Make sure that's cleaned out well? Could you take photos of the pool from multiple angles to see if we can spot something that might be harboring algae?
I hose down the robot and filter after every use and I always take it out at night. I run it about 2x a day and usually also vacuum once. I’ll take pics when I get home.

Thanks everyone!

I’d say take it apart if none of your other measures work. I have a cartridge filter so am not familiar with the level of clean a backwash gives a filter. Will let someone with a similar filter comment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.