No CYA - How is this possible?

I’d say take it apart if none of your other measures work. I have a cartridge filter so am not familiar with the level of clean a backwash gives a filter. Will let someone with a similar filter comment.
Your supposed to deap clean them every year. Mine is in my shed and so it’s a bit problematic to deep clean. What I do is when the pool gets very full due to rain, I backwash it while I drain the pool out. That way I can backwash for around 5 to 8 minutes. I get a lot of rain usually so I am able to do that quite frequently. 2 minutes is the minimum for a backwash with a 30 second rinse.

Reactions: kul
Your supposed to deap clean them every year. Mine is in my shed and so it’s a bit problematic to deep clean. What I do is when the pool gets very full due to rain, I backwash it while I drain the pool out. That way I can backwash for around 5 to 8 minutes. I get a lot of rain usually so I am able to do that quite frequently. 2 minutes is the minimum for a backwash with a 30 second rinse.
It was deep cleaned last fall and sat empty all winter. When we got the pool opened three weeks ago we added DE and have backwashed once. It is right at 10 psi, the clean level is 8 which is why I was going to backwash tonight. But now last night and today once when I’ve gone out the pump has been off. I have to cycle the timer off/on then manually flip the pump switch off/on. Then it turns back on. Now another problem to deal with. No idea what could be happening there. I might need to start another thread for that? It’s never had a problem.

Reactions: Orion7319
Pics of the pool. It’s crystal clear.

Attachments

• 561D3E1F-DEEA-4D80-9951-2E907A9535DC.jpeg
    561D3E1F-DEEA-4D80-9951-2E907A9535DC.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 26
  • C9AC9590-0A92-4D13-AA51-4B8CC9894C48.jpeg
    C9AC9590-0A92-4D13-AA51-4B8CC9894C48.jpeg
    578.6 KB · Views: 26
  • F76D4B0C-2212-4A98-9E36-0393BBEE696C.jpeg
    F76D4B0C-2212-4A98-9E36-0393BBEE696C.jpeg
    640.3 KB · Views: 26
Have you brushed carefully on the steps in the area it meets the liner? I sometimes have to get in the pool with the head of the brush and brush around that pretty carefully. Those aren't removable steps so water shouldn't be getting in behind them to harbor algae or anything, so if you brush the outside well then we should be able to rule that out.

EDIT: Same thing with the light. I think we determined it's not supposed to come out or let water behind it but brushing around it to make sure nothing is hiding where the material meets the liner would be a good idea.

Thanks - I’ll do them again! 😊

I’m super worried about the pump though too - I read a few threads and it sounds like my pump might be going. That would be a huge bummer and total setback and I’m envisioning having to restart this SLAM again with an even bigger algae bloom if my pool sits without circulation for many days while getting it diagnosed and fixed. 😩 is it possible to run it partially and still succeed with a SLAM?

If the pump isn’t working well, you can still add chlorine and brush to keep things going. It’s not ideal, but it’s better than starting over.

Reactions: JulieVa
An update - it is going well. I had to postpone a day - as I was pouring bleach into the pool yesterday it splashed into my eye and I had to go to the eye doctor to get it checked out. (Always wear goggles was the hard lesson learned there.)

Others here have you on the right path for the cleanup; I just wanted to highlight this for you and others. I'm glad you're okay and probably good to learn the lesson on bleach and not acid! It always makes me nervous when people talk about walking around the pool "broadcasting" chemicals; in almost all cases unneccesary and too many opportunities to trip/splash.

For the liquids I put in (Muriatic Acid these days; liquid chlorine very rarely now that I have an SWCG), I pour in front of a return. I keep the jug closed until I'm sitting or kneeling and stable, and only then open it up, gently lower the bottom of the jug into the water and pour from a couple inches above the water. Especially with the pump on everything gets diluted throughout the pool on its own. I verified that once by taking a sample from the other end of the pool 30 minutes later.

That not only minimizes chance of injury (although goggles are a good idea too, especially with acid), but reduces clothing-ruining bleach spots (yes, I have a few "decorated" shirts from early pool days!)

Reactions: jeffchap
Thanks - I’ll do them again! 😊

I’m super worried about the pump though too - I read a few threads and it sounds like my pump might be going. That would be a huge bummer and total setback and I’m envisioning having to restart this SLAM again with an even bigger algae bloom if my pool sits without circulation for many days while getting it diagnosed and fixed. 😩 is it possible to run it partially and still succeed with a SLAM?
As mentioned, you can add chlorine around the perimeter of the pool and brush the sides to mix it in. My pump has been down since before Memorial day until just yesterday and I've had to add it that way.

I'd recommend starting a thread in the pumps area of the forum to see if folks can help you diagnose the pump. (Not something I can help much with, sadly!)

But now last night and today once when I’ve gone out the pump has been off. I have to cycle the timer off/on then manually flip the pump switch off/on. Then it turns back on. Now another problem to deal with. No idea what could be happening there. I might need to start another thread for that? It’s never had a problem.
Can you bypass the timer and keep the pump on 24/7 until you diagnose the problem? If it stays running, the problem may be in the timer and not the pump. Depending on what type of timer you have, that could be a much cheaper fix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As mentioned, you can add chlorine around the perimeter of the pool and brush the sides to mix it in. My pump has been down since before Memorial day until just yesterday and I've had to add it that way.

I'd recommend starting a thread in the pumps area of the forum to see if folks can help you diagnose the pump. (Not something I can help much with, sadly!)
Ok thank you! That’s reassuring. At least better than starting over. I could use my robot more often I guess as a type of filter I suppose? Or are there other methods?

Can you bypass the timer and keep the pump on 24/7 until you diagnose the problem? If it stays running, the problem may be in the timer and not the pump. Depending on what type of timer you have, that could be a much cheaper fix.
I wish that was the case! The pump sort of has a slight burning smell around it periodically. I’m guessing it’s the pump. The timer is in the garage so doubtful the smell would come from there. But I will look into that idea. Fingers crossed! Thank you!

The robot will help with sediment that falls to the bottom but otherwise it won't be filtered if you can't run the pump, unfortunately. Your pool is pretty clear, though, so hopefully it won't get too bad while a pump is down.

Fortunately replacement pump motors aren't ridiculously expensive and are easily replaced by anyone that can handle a wrench and a screwdriver in under an hour.

From the looks of yours, I'd guesstimate $250-300. For another $20 or so you can probably get a rebuild kit to replace the o-rings and gaskets if it doesn't come with them already.

Google the model number on that sticker and you'll find several places online that sell them. I bought my last one in March on Amazon because as a Prime member, I didn't have to pay shipping.

Maybe time for another CYA test? It's either algae or the sun. If you can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test this evening that would help confirm.
I did another CYA test today. It appears to be more like 30, not 40. Originally it was 30, then I redid it and got 40 (which is the SLAM level I’ve been using for the last 3 days) and now I got it at 30 again. So if anything I’ve been chlorinating above my target. So a question (if you aren’t sick of my yet):

1. Since I’ve been SLAMMING at 16 vs 12 and still gets lots of dead algae will this make it go quicker? I know you say I’m basically throwing money away if I go higher but it seems like it’s doing more than at 12. I think I’m inclined to want to stay closer to 16 since my CYA readings seem to wiggle around. Thoughts?

It won't hurt, CYA measurement isn't an exact science. I tend to err on the high side if there's any doubt.

Ok. My husband has rescued me. Here are photos of the back of the foam from the weir doors he got off. Please tell me this was the culprit??! 😊

but how do I get rid of this algae on these? If running chlorine through it didn’t do it I’m unsure what I should do to remove this algae.

Attachments

• 0002387D-3990-4681-A74D-04513A43CD0D.jpeg
    0002387D-3990-4681-A74D-04513A43CD0D.jpeg
    674.3 KB · Views: 17
  • EBF3946D-8011-4794-BF30-F50B514C2676.jpeg
    EBF3946D-8011-4794-BF30-F50B514C2676.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 17
Ok. My husband has rescued me. Here are photos of the back of the foam from the weir doors he got off. Please tell me this was the culprit??! 😊

but how do I get rid of this algae on these? If running chlorine through it didn’t do it I’m unsure what I should do to remove this algae.
I don’t know if that’s the culprit or not. You can use a higher concentration of chlorine. Take any house hold bleach, mix it 50/50 with water and pour it on them and let them sit for 5-10 minutes before rinsing them off. Also you doors are a bit stained. If you want to make them white again, crush up some vitamin c tablets and dissolve them in water. Pour that on the plastic doors.

So I put them all in some full strength (later diluted it) LC. They instantly turned black! Doors and foam. We’re looking into buying new doors and foam, at the least foam. Not sure if they are so full of algae that it was originally invisible (is that a thing?) and turned black when the LC hit it full strength. 🤷‍♀️

What will the implication be of not having weir doors for a few days until they are delivered? Any major issues other than a little less filtering suction?

Other updates:

We backwashed and re-added DE. Got the pressure back down to 8.

The pump seems to work for a few hours then turn off and turn it turns back on automatically. Assuming there is some sort of thermostat in there to prevent overheating.

I found some green and red and black algae/grossness in the nooks around the weir door where I couldn’t access before and around the skimmer plates that my husband removed. Hoping this cleaning was enough but won’t be too surprised when the OCLT doesn’t pass. I’m hopeful we’re headed in the right direction, aside from the pump issue.

Thank you everyone!

Attachments

• 6E655DE9-F3E2-4A6E-A1D4-903E1F8FAA48.jpeg
    6E655DE9-F3E2-4A6E-A1D4-903E1F8FAA48.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 16
Wow that looks pretty nasty. Maybe this will do it for you. Without the weir door the skimming action won’t be as great but that’s the only downside. Let’s see what your OCLT does tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.