No chlorine!!! New chlorinator installed

I suggest you thoroughly review Pool School. With any amount of CYA in the pool an FC of 2 is asking for issues. Typical, normally chlorinated pools in the southern portion of the USA would use 40 to 50 CYA resulting in a need for a FC of 4 to 5. Depending on how often each day you are willing to add chlorine you would have to raise the FC to 7 or 8 each day to combat normal losses of 3-4 FC per day.

Good Luck.

The odd thing is, since chlorine levels have come up from almost zero to 1.5....its gotten greener!!! This pool is gonna kill me. Also added a gallon of bleach this morning and 4 new filters in this afternoon.

It's getting greener because your FC level is too low based on your CYA. With CYA of 30, the min maintenance level of FC is 2ppm, target of 4ppm. The SLAM level is 12pmm. Now that you have added CYA to get to 40, the needed FC levels have gone up. You need to get FC up to 16ppm. There is no way around this. Until you do this, your pool won't get any better!!

Please..Please read the articles in PoolSchool. Specifically the SLAM article, Solving Problems > Defeating Algae, ABCs of Pool Chemistry, and Chlorine/CYA Chart. Those 4 are short reads and will help you immensely to understand.

Edit: make sure you're using only bleach. You can turn the SWG off.

Maybe im missing something. My FC was at almost zero. Ive been running brand new swg at 80% with no change. Ive shocked the pool 3-4 times over the past month...but there was still leaves, algae etc in the pool. I was FINALLY able to get everything off the bottom. The pool is now spotless. Ive been putting bleach in for 3 days. FC has now risen to 1-1.5. TC almost 2 and CC at 1. The pool is somewhat clear but with a green tint to it. Pool store says cya is 46. My testing shows less than 30. At this point i dont think im losing FC very rapidly...its actually rising but still greenish. Will the continued rise in FC kill the green tint(algae) or do i need to shock?

Your biggest issue is that there is an algae bloom forming in your pool due to lack of chlorine. Regardless of how it started. Now your SWG is likely working fine, but unable to make FC faster than it is being used up by the green critters (algae). Your inability to raise FC along with the CC of 1 shows that you have something in the water that is killing your FC level.
The traditional "shock" of throwing solid dichlor powder won't fix this. You need to do what we refer to as a SLAM (Shock Level And Maintain).
Believe it or not, you are loosing FC. If nothing else, 2-4ppm every day just to the Sun.
You need to do the SLAM process. It is a process and not a one time action.
I'll plead with you again. Please read those articles. 15 minutes of your life well spent.

Briefly reading over the slam process and watching the video...i wont have time to devote that much consistent time to it until saturday. I guess it wont completely solve my problem but i did put in a gallon of bleach this morning, 3 bags of shock late this afternoon, 4 tabs and turned swg to super chlorinate. The water is a pale light green but mostly clear.

Briefly reading over the slam process and watching the video...i wont have time to devote that much consistent time to it until saturday. I guess it wont completely solve my problem but i did put in a gallon of bleach this morning, 3 bags of shock late this afternoon, 4 tabs and turned swg to super chlorinate. The water is a pale light green but mostly clear.
I hate to be blunt, but you are shooting yourself in the foot. Bags of shock and tabs do nothing but raise your CYA even higher. SWGs have a finite life span on the plates. Using the "super chlorinate" mode does nothing than shorten the life of your system.

Whe you get up in the morning use liquid to get to shock level. When you get home from work do it again. Before you go to bed do it a third time. Continue this until Sunday when you have more time. Then hit it hard. Test and adjust chlorine back to shock level every 90 minutes all day Sunday.

Monday go back to the 3 times a day if you have to.

No shock. No tabs, turn off your SWG until the SLAM Process is over with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i wont have time to devote that much consistent time to it until saturday.
OK, start as soon as you can. We all understand that life gets in the way and that's OK.
Testing, 5 mins max. Dose 2 minutes. So hopefully you can find 10 mins 3 times a day until Saturday. Then hit it harder when you can.
It's been said a few times but I just want to reiterate, bleach only!

Put a gallon of bleach in this morning. Came home from work to see that its 95% clear!!! Cya is up to 50. Still a little left in sock and chlorine tabs i just left in to help raise it. Cleaned the filters and added another gallon of bleach. Its getting there finally.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.