No bubbles from main drain

Quatelmon

Oct 5, 2019
Long Island, NY
Closing pool for first time. I'm in the Northeast, so it freezes here. From the pad, I've blown out my return jets. I've also blown out my skimmers and the vacuum line. I've plugged the returns, vacuum line, and skimmers. There are no bubbles coming from the main drain. When I turn the valves that are for the skimmer, vacuum line, and main drain, they don't seal it off. Now I am stuck and don't know how to proceed. I am using a shop vac. Thank you for any advice! I really need to close this thing up today!!!

Show us pics of the valves and what you are dealing with so we can better understand your situation.

I can't understand your flow from that picture to suggest alternatives.

When the valves for the skimmer and vacuum line are closed do you get air out those line?

I think like Jim said, your blower is not powerful enough to blow out a main drain line. Most are not. All you need to do is blow air into the main drain line to lower the water in the pipe and then close the valve to airlock the air in the pipe. It is difficult to know if you are success doing that with your valve setup.

A little air still comes out when I close the valve for the skimmer and vacuum. I'm going to see if my husband can use his air compressor when he gets home to try it that way, and maybe he can turn the valves tighter than I can. I DID install my cover by myself, though, which I'm dang proud of. I was just sick of getting the leaves out of the pool! I'll open up the corner to see if we get air coming out when he gets home. Thanks everyone!

Based on your picture, the one on the left is the main drain. If your skimmers are closed properly with Gizzmo's or black winter plugs, then close off the valve so no air travels towards the skimmer(s). A picture a little further back would be better. Then purchase blow-thru plugs with schrader valves and insert at the union and use an air compressor. Run until you see bubbles coming out of the main drain (does not have to be a magic wave like the Cyclone produces), and then shut off the valve (faded red shut off valve). Leave the plug in the piping through the winter. In the spring slowly release air out of the plug first and then slowly open the shut off valve. This is how I would do this if this were my plumbing.

Your shop vac does not have enough air volume. Please upload a few more pictures of the equipment pad. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.