Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
As I've been learning at my new to me pool and looking into its equipment, I've noticed that my equipment (currently a pump, nature2 system, and sand filter) lacks bonding wires. It was built in Fall 2005 if that makes a difference.

Looking to install some new equipment this Spring (pump, SWG, heater). How much of an issue is this?

I would dig around in the dirt around the pad to see if a bond wire can be found.

Maybe use a metal detector.

Do you have a better picture and some from different angles?

Bonding the equipment together is of little value if not bonded to the water, pool structure, and any deck.

A vinyl liner pool needs a water bond that may be provided by some types of lights.

Taking the Mystery Out of Equipotential Bonding Requirements for Swimming Poolsis a good primer to understand equipotential bonding in pools.

A good reference is from Mike Holt Enterprises on Article 680—Swimming Pools, Spas, Hot Tubs, Fountains, and Similar Installations.
It originally had a light but that was removed when the previous owners had it re-lined this past summer.

Was this part of electrical code when the pool was built (2005). It’s kind of like the Wild West with code enforcement around these parts.

325056392_1228871764692312_3740510804420899628_n.jpg
After some investigation, the conduit in the middle with the red arrow is open at the bottom and has a thick copper wire that runs out of it and to the left in the ground.

I'm guessing that would be the bonding wire? How would I go about testing whether that's the case?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
View attachment 473177
After some investigation, the conduit in the middle with the red arrow is open at the bottom and has a thick copper wire that runs out of it and to the left in the ground.

I'm guessing that would be the bonding wire? How would I go about testing whether that's the case?
A bond wire benefits from running along or buried in the ground. Bond wires are not run in conduit.

Can you show the wire?

Is it a #8 solid bare copper?

Can you show the wire where it is connected in the subpanel?

Are the rails stainless steel or polymer?

Last edited:
Can you show the wire?

Is it a #8 solid bare copper?

Can you show the wire where it is connected in the subpanel?

Are the rails stainless steel or polymer?
I can get a picture of the wire and in the subpanel tomorrow.

By rails, do you mean for the cover or the ladder/steps. The cover track is aluminum. The hand rails are metal (I assume stainless).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.