No air lock in the main drain and no antifreeze in the skimmer.

rich6429

Nov 25, 2021
Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hired someone to close today. I noticed that they didn’t do an airlock on the main drain. I asked and he said I have cleared your lines and should be good for the winter. But if the valve is still open, doesn’t water just go back in the main drain and therefore negates blowing the lines out?

As for the skimmer, he did blow the lines out and added a gizmo. Nothing else. Should there be a little bit of antifreeze to protect?

Thanks

But if the valve is still open, doesn’t water just go back in the main drain and therefore negates blowing the lines out?
@ajw22 might confirm or like to see a pic of your pad, but it may depend on your plumbing, pad height, and other factors. As for the skimmer, Antifreeze is optional. The Gizmo is great insurance, but you can also add a piece or two of a cut-up foam pool noodle for added insurance.

@ajw22 might confirm or like to see a pic of your pad, but it may depend on your plumbing, pad height, and other factors. As for the skimmer, Antifreeze is optional. The Gizmo is great insurance, but you can also add a piece or two of a cut-up foam pool noodle for added insurance.
Thanks.

Decided to add the antifreeze and a few cut up foam in the pipe. Sealed it with the gizmo. MIght be overkill, but would rather be safe than deal with an issue next year.

i added a tiny bit of antifreeze on top of the skimmer too where the gizmo is currently residing...again overkill.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.