Niche is covered by the liner, no light fixture, please help

May 10, 2017
South Bend
Hope someone can help with this. I did check the forum to see if there were any similar situations before posting. Here's the background. I purchased a house that has an inground pool with a vinyl liner. The pool hadn't been used in 10 years prior to me buying the house. Right before selling the house the previous owner had a new liner put in the pool in an attempt to get it going until they figured out the plumbing was bad and the equipment was shot. They had already filled the pool right up to the skimmer. I repaired the plumbing installed a new pump and filter system, filled up the pool and got the pool going again. While disconnecting and cleaning up old wiring I found the switch for a light for the pool. I felt around on the deep end and found the niche housing where a light is supposed to be. They covered the niche and didn't bother to cut it out. There's a riser with a junction box under the diving board for the light. When I got into the junction box I found wires coming from the light switch but no wires going down to the niche with the exception of the green ground wire. I checked that there is power to the junction box from the switch. It is on a GFI breaker. The niche seems to be around 6.5 inches. I can't tell if the niche sealing ring is on the niche housing or not. I can feel a couple of screws so I'm hoping the ring is there. I called the guy who put the liner in and he said he thought it was a Pentair spa light type setup. He couldn't say for sure and hasn't returned my call about coming out to help me with the light. When I asked why they didn't cut it out he said, going off of memory from 8 months ago, the seller of the house had removed the liner and didn't have the light when they came to put the new liner in.

Here's my questions.
- With the pool being full can I pull back the liner to at least identify if the ring is there and what kind of niche I have?
- How can I identify the niche type?
- How can I identify the type of light fixture needed?
- Can the sealing ring be put on while the pool is full? And does anyone have any info on how to do it? I can't find any youtube videos.

As always thanks in advance for the help. You guys have been a great resource with this pool project. I hope to return the favors as I learn more.

Chances are it was leaking and they just covered it up. I have an old light that the PO epoxied into place to stop a leak and the installers just went over the top of it instead of trying to dig it out and cost me more money... I don't notice it anymore

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.