Newly filled pool

Hello,
I had to drain my pool for a repair. It is a SWG pool. It is now filled back up from my public water supply. What steps do I take to balance everything?

Also, do I need to add magic jacks or algaecide?

Thanks,
Doug

Does your water contain any metals? If not than no on the "Jacks".

Why would you add algecide? Proper FC levels are going to take care of that.

Add liquid chlorine now. Continue using liquid chlorine until everything settles out, the salt level is right and you are ready to turn on the SWCG. The SWCG is great at maintaining the FC level, you don't want to use it to get to your target though - help it out.

For now I would hang a sock with CYA to get you to 40, then slowly move up increments of 10 until you get to your target.

Add CH to get to at least 350

Adjust pH to about 7.5 for now.

Can you post your current test results? Just cuz we know where you're going (a tfp pool), doesn't mean we can give you directions on how to get there without knowing where you are now, lol.

Thank you. Yeah, my CYA is below 10, my CH is at 75. Alkalinity was 50. Everything else is in line. What and where do I get stuff to increase CYA and CH?...I know I can go to the “pool store”, but are there other options?
Most big box stores (Home Depot/Lowes/WalMart) sell pool supplies this time of year. They have CH and CYA.

Or, check your garage. Got any 100% calcium chloride ice melt? Same stuff as CH up.

Thank you. Yeah, my CYA is below 10, my CH is at 75. Alkalinity was 50. Everything else is in line. What and where do I get stuff to increase CYA and CH?...I know I can go to the “pool store”, but are there other options?

For future reference, post your results like this:

FC ??
CC ??
pH ??
TA 50
CH 75
CYA 0
Salt ??

If you haven't added any CYA, it's definitely 0. You need to get your CYA up to 60-80 for a SWG pool, CH up to the recommended level for your pool (sorry, I have vinyl pool, so don't know off hand), FC up to the corresponding level for your CYA, pH to somewhere between 7.2 and 7.5, and your salt to whatever your SWG manufacturer recommends.

I'm on my phone atm, so sorry for not having specific levels in this post.

Really hard to play a guessing game if you give no numbers to work with. What test kit do you currently use? You joined TFP in 2013 so this should be easy for you to post the required info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.