Newish filter with rust inside

I noticed the same issue with my Jandy filter, pictures taken not even 4 months after install. I haven't looked since the fall but I assume it's a lot worse now. When I reached out to Jandy they basically said don't worry about it. Being that it's only rusting on one side makes me think it's a manufacturing defect and not anything I am doing wrong.
IMG_20200513_135033451_HDR - Copy.jpgIMG_20200513_135039730_HDR - Copy.jpg

I noticed the same issue with my Jandy filter, pictures taken not even 4 months after install. I haven't looked since the fall but I assume it's a lot worse now. When I reached out to Jandy they basically said don't worry about it. Being that it's only rusting on one side makes me think it's a manufacturing defect and not anything I am doing wrong.
View attachment 315545View attachment 315546

I think it is more of a design flaw than a manufacturing defect. Mine was rusting from the crimps and welds. Looks like the same thing for you.
Will it completely rust away. Probably not? I'm not even 100% sure what purpose this piece has since there is a steel band right on the outside. Maybe to prevent you from over-tightening the band?
But in any case my water doesn't need any extra iron in it.

I just don't know if the rust is better or worse than dissolving paint or rust inhibitor into the pool.

The powder coating is a thick layer of ceramic once it’s on. If it’s a press fit in the filter now, it may not fit at all after powder coating.

the stainless steel part was probably passivated when it was made, but it may have been deeply scratched, or a piece of non stainless chunk may have got stuck in those spots and rusted.

Reactions: duade
Pentair did agree to send out a replacement ring after getting my serial number and proof of purchase (inyopools). Tracking number says arriving tomorrow.
My MechE friends are currently debating passivating vs just powder-coating the ring. I'll report back on what I decide to do and what the cost is.
Did you get a chance to replace the part that was rusting. Were you able to do additional processing on it to prevent future rusting on that ring?

Did you get a chance to replace the part that was rusting. Were you able to do additional processing on it to prevent future rusting on that ring?
I ended up coating the new part with CRC Marine Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor. Not sure how effective it will be since I had to press it back into the bottom of the filter, which may have rubbed off some of the coating.
I probably only have to clean my filter once a season, so I'll look at it then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.