Newbie with stains in pool

I tried the vitamin C and it didn’t do anything. Water was tested and the guy said add 3 More cups of muriatic acid and take my chlorine floater out as well as lower the thing that turns the salt into chlorine because there is too much chlorine in the pool. Does that help at all? He said all other levels are good.

I'll just say it. Pool store testing is not very accurate.

Let me assure you, you at the right place to get help. There is a lot of very knowledgeable people here willing to help you.
However if you want their help you need to provide them with details, so they can make appropriate diagnosis.
In order to do that, you need to be able to perform full water test yourself. The only way to do that is with a proper test kit.

Think about your situation as going to your physician and asking him to diagnose whatever issue you experiencing.
Your physician would run full blood-work tests to see a health picture of you. Now if the lab will not send him your test results but instead say your blood is fine, do you think he will be able to make a diagnosis?
He might have some suspicion but without any numbers he won't know if it's plausible. Not to mention that if the results would vary wildly from lab to lab it's almost impossible to make the right decision

This is the type of situation we dealing with. Your problem might even be caused by pool store product you added to your pool.
One of the TFP operating principles is to only add a chemical if you know/understand what it is and what would be the effect of it.

In Texas too, new plaster pool, same stain problems you have. I'm sure it's the fill water in my case. But I'm dependent on pool store testing atm. Ordering a kit asap so I can test myself. I hope you get yours figured out. I'm blaming my builder for not prefiltering our water. Lol But I should have got more involved and not trusted him. Take matters in your own hands as advised. I'm following to see what your solution is. I'll let you know mine.

Good luck!

Vitamin C dissolves some metal stains.
Even though we don't trust pool store testing please post the results. I'm curious what they saw that makes them think you should reduce the chlorine levels. I hate to beat the drum on getting your own test kit but I'd be willing to bet it'll save you lots of money in the long run.

Vitamin C will turn copper stains a darker color.
Which leads back to my original comment of, it may be something the pool store told her to add. Jackson, are you going to order the test kit? I know they are a little pricey, but in the long run will pay for itself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I may. Haven’t decided yet. Which one do you suggest?

You will be glad you did. Imagine being able to test all critical numbers for your pool anytime you need/want to without having to rely on a 17 year-old high school student at Leslie's to do it right! Even small things like making sure you have the bottle fully upright to squeeze out the right number of drops makes a difference! My biggest learning for me here, other than liquid chlorine only, was being able to test my own water accurately. I was a test strip user. We call them GUESS strips around here.

Or go all mad scientist and get a stirring plate, graduated cylinders, squeeze bottles, beakers, etc. (I may have a problem :))
Let's not completely scare them away from buying a test kit. Put your hands in your pockets til we figure out if they're going to make the very wise decision to leave the pool store and take over the pool with our help!

Shhhhhh.... let's wait. *taps fingers*

One other vote of confidence for the TFP way of pool management!

Went out last night after dark (all week event is preventing me from being able to get to the pool before). To add a half gallon of LC, clean out the skimmer and hand skim the pool.

I run my pump about 7 hours at night.

Anyway, I was absolutely astounded at how clear and clean the water is! I had my underwater light on and it was amazing how crystal clear the pool is! Amazing. Last year I had so much trouble. Fought algae all year. And with algae comes boatman and backswimmers. None of those this year!

OP you will not regret it if you switch to the TFP way of pool management.

Reactions: CarolineM and Casey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.