newbie with equipment selection help

I found the above at none other than TFP: hard-plumbing-of-agp-done-w-pics-and-parts-list-t38003.html

The pics and discussion seem to be a bit intimidating to me .... :oops:

I might need to do more research on this ... and this may impact my self-imposed OCD timeline :mrgreen: .

Can I not obtain the "easy to take apart" features with the soft / flexi tubing and hose clamps using a cartridge filter? I'm not familiar with filter cartridges yet (I only understand the sand filter paradigm), but perhaps I'll get a clue tonight at the pool store where I can do the touchy/feely thang. :lol:

Thank you!

If you're determined to use hose instead of pipe it can certainly be done. It will hook to the cartridge filter just fine.
The issue with hoses is that they have a tendency to blow apart at the most inopportune time. But if you're willing to accept that, that may happen, then I see no reason it won't work for you.

Bama Rambler said:
A 2-speed saves you a good deal of money in electric costs over a single speed. Because you can run it most of the time and only use high for vacuuming and backwashing. Either of those filters will be fine. Just go with the less expensive one.

Dave,

You say alot of guys run a 2 speed pump in low speed alot and use high for backwash and vac, so correct me if I take that as I will be able to run my 220v pump/filter for 2-separate 4-6 hr runs or 1-8hr per day and have my soon to order 220v stenner perestaltic and pump my chlorine when my pump/filter is running in LOW speed at whatever interval I decide to dial my injection rate to and maintain my FC level even on Low speed? And just use high for vac/BW ? I'll be wiring my stenner into my time clock my pump runs off of...(my decide to have a 2 pole switch after it as well just to be able to service stenner if needed)

Is the vulnerability of the hoses greater with the cartridge filters due to greater water pressure that that of sand filters? I'm not sure I want to be exposed to that vulnerability. It sounds like I might go with sand/hoses or cartridge/hard-pipe-unions ...

You have given me great food for thought ... hopefully I can digest all of this cuisine by tonight .... will keep you posted ... and thanks again, Dave and all!

I'll keep checking until I leave work and head for the place where there is no turning back *gulp*.... :shock:

:wave:

I went with just a new pump, but "upgraded" the hose connection from pump to sand filter with a quick detach / threaded type of screw cap, and also got a valve turn on/off to connect pump to skimmer, so no more need for tennis ball to stop water from flowing out of pool when the pump is turned off! This will make my life easier for sure.

So the water hose is in the pool ... by morning it should be filled, and then it's step 1 of the baquacil-to-chlorine conversion process! :whoot:

So just some quick pics of my minimalist upgrades to achieve intended goals of "making my life easier" :-D

Out with the OLD ...
Pool1_OldPump.jpg

In with the new ...
Pool1_NewPump.jpg

Small but impactive upgrades:
1. Quick release unscrew at the top of the filter
2. Shut off valve at the bottom (I think I need one at the top left one too, since water still rushes in ... maybe I flip pump to backwash? :idea: ).
Pool2_UpgradedPump.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.