Newbie w/above ground 18x48 Coleman pool and Intex Krystal Clear saltwater system + sand filter combo, and I love advice

tbrooms

May 28, 2021
Columbia, South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hello! Anyone who has advice for starting up and managing a soft-sided above ground pool w/a sand filter and saltwater system, I am all ears! 18x48 Coleman Swim Vista II Power Steel pool (2018), 1600GPH Intex Krystal Clear sand filter and saltwater system combo, purchased last year. I'm in the process of filling the pool now and am trying to find info about whether I should go ahead and start dissolving salt gradually (maybe one bag) before the water is high enough to start the pump.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: See the link below for great info. In addition:
- Remember new water has no stabilizer (CYA), so add enough stabilizer (sock-soaking method) to increase your CYA to at least 40, maybe even 50 if you get full sun and it's hot out.
- On day one of fill, add only enough chlorine to get the FC to 2-3 ppm. Day 2 and beyond, keep the FC balanced to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels to avoid algae.
- Adjust the pH to 7.6-7.8. If it's high, use muriatic acid to lower it.

Be sure to have a proper test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K--2006C) for all testing. That's key. Let us know if you have any questions.

Reactions: tbrooms
Don’t put salt in until you are full, then add in stages so you don’t accidentally put too much in. You don’t want to use SWG until your salt has fully dissolved for a day or two. Use liquid chlorine and just the pump without SWG until then. Your manual will tell you how to run pump alone.

Reactions: tbrooms
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.