Newbie to TFP

Hopefully your CC is from the bather load on Sunday. If it were my pool I'd SLAM it!

Bring FC up to 15 and do some brushing.
Retest your FC after sunset and raise it back up to at least 12 if needed.
Retest FC at sunrise to see if you pass the OCLT. (Loss of 1 ppm or less)

latest update. I think I realized what may have happened. The LPS wrote down to add 4 cups of Smart Shock to schock. I was somewhat absent minded and did not realize that my usual shock was 8 cups to equal 2 pounds of smart shock. I assume a half shock would possibly cause the higher FC and CC after a heavy swim. will retest tonight and start over.

also, I located a pool supply house what sells bulk chlorine 10-12% in 5 gallon refillable containers for $15.69. can someone tell me if that is good price for chlorine. Also, is a 5 gal container more difficult to deal with than the 1 or 2 gal containers?

thanks and sorry for the multiple postings.

Using half the amount of what I assume is dichlor would not result in higher FC. It would be lower, by half. I still recommending following the SLAM process.

Also, you're on the right track with the liquid chlorine. Stay away from the powdered/granular stuff. The 5 gallon deal you mentioned is a little better than 121 oz jugs of 8.25% at Walmart. I think its easier to handle one big container but others may disagree. Just make sure it's stored in a cool place away from any acid you might have.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

retested the water this evening after a day of light rain and no sun. FC lowered from 3.5 to 2 and CC lowered from 1 to .5. Note, i did not add any bleach/chlorine this morning but i am sure there are tablets remaining in the chlorinator. according to the pool calc, i should add 54 oz bleach and 6 lbs of soda. it is supposed to have light rain and no sun for the next 2 days so i am thinking along these lines. water is clear. i could shock again with the smart shock which would also raise my CYA a little since it appears to be a little low at or near 30. could be a little under.

should i still Slam if my CC is coming down?

all my numbers are inline with TFP. starting to get the hang of things. I am still struggling with the CYA test. My test using the TF100 is consistently coming in at or near 30 maybe slightly under. hard to say. I took the water to the LPS (just to see how my numbers match up) and to return chemicals. Their CYA test showed 45. 8 days earlier their test showed 23 and I was still at 30. However, since their test and prior to starting TFP I did use about 8 -10 pucks before i could find the liquid chlorine. The pucks would add stabilizer but would not think to go from 23-45. is there that much subjectivity? Pool Math says to add about a pound of stabilizer that would bring it up to under 40ish. is it better to run towards the low range or a little higher.

Also, i was able to return all pool chemicals (almost $350 worth) except for Bioguard Optimizer. I have read that this product is ok to use and the pool store would not take it back. They gave me a lot of grief and claimed that there is no way to maintain the pool just using chlorine and maintaining TFP.

In any event, would appreciate some feedback on the CYA and optimizer. My Borates per the LPS are 9.

Pool is clear as it has ever been. Thanks

Pool is clear as it has ever been
Very nice work!

In-store testing of CYA is maybe their most inconsistent test. You would be ahead of the game if you simply accept that you have the most accurate test method in your possession and your CYA is, in fact, 30 ppm.

I would add enough CYA to get to around 50 ppm and enjoy the rest of your swim season.

Good for you for getting your money back and taking control of your pool! You know it works even if they argue with you that it doesn't! I'd bet money your pool looks the best it has ever looked since coming to TFP and seeing for yourself. :mrgreen: Congratulations!

As far as CYA goes, the rainy Spring time weather always depletes my CYA. ;) I've drained 4" off my pool in less than a week and lost 15ppm of CYA. I like to stay right in the middle at 40ppm but anywhere from 30-50 is perfect if you are not running a SWG. :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.