Newbie Pool Owner Needs Help

Thanks Oly. I took water to pool store just to compare their results to mine. Here they are:

FC-2
PH-7.6
TAC-2
CH - 410
CYA-70
TA-80

So it appears my numbers weren’t far off. I will begin the plan today to drain some of the water and refill with fresh.

I took water to pool store just to compare their results to mine
That's going to be a tough habit to break, but you'll have to try. Comparing will only drive you nuts. :crazy: You can see how off their CYA test was to yours. Always go with YOUR testing. We generally don't like to waste chemicals just to dump it right out onto the lawn, but in your case, that FC is low. Your saving grace right now may be fairly cool water and the weather systems flowing across our state. If this was summer, your pool might be green with FC that low. So if you are going to drain some water, do it ASAP and replenish the FC right away. If you don't exchange water soon, still make sure to increase the FC right away. Use regular bleach or pool chlorine (same thing). Make sure the bleach is plain - never use splashless, scented, or Clorox/Cloromax products. The stabilizer should never go up again as long as you stay away from tabs & pool store bags of shock. You are in control to later increase CYA only when needed - later.

good evening. I pumped out 2 ft of water from the pool and refilled with fresh water and started the pump with no issues. I waited about 45 minutes then conducted a CYA test which read 40.

I attempted to do a FC test, but after adding more then 5 scopes of the R0870, the water did not turn pink. Does this mean I have no chlorine in the water? I am a still learning the pool math so forgive my ignorance when I ask what my next steps should be.

Should I leave my pump running all night and retest in the morning?

0 FC. Add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine.

I doubt the water was very well mixed. Have you brushed the pool? That helps mix it to.

Hello mknauss. I've been brushing the pool since turning the pump back on. The pump has been on for about an hour and a half now since refilling it back.

I do not have any liquid chlorine but can pick some up in the morning. I am guessing there is nothing more I can do now this late in the evening. should I leave the pump running all night?

Last edited:
good morning,

these were my results from yesterday, first test with high CYA.
FC - 2.6
PH - 7.4
TA - 100
CH - 450
CYA - 90
TEMP - 71

as suggested yesterday, I removed water from the pool, 2ft of water was removed and replaced with fresh water to see if this would help the CYA. An hour after refilling to the water level line, I had the pump on for about 45-to an hour and tested the CYA, it was 40.

this morning I retested and have the following readings:

FC - (0) I put upwards of 10 scoops of DPD and the water did not turn pink
PH - 7.4
TA - 100
CH - 340
CYA - 50
Temp 69

I am still not too familiar with the pool match app and still learning. Please advise how much liquid chlorine I should add. I will be going to the pool store this morning to purchase. the only store open is Leslie's.

Follow the FC/CYA Levels for 50 ppm CYA. Raise your FC to target level using PoolMath
To raise your FC to target level you need 215 oz of 10% liquid chlorine. That will raise it to 6 ppm. Then EVERY DAY, you test your FC and raise the level of FC back to 6 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
spent time replacing the pentair filters. they were in very bad condition. the pressure was close to 30 and now with new filters, pressure is down just below 10.

time to go buy liquid chlorine.

Now you can make note of that clean filter pressure. Once it increases by about 25%, that means it's dirty and time to clean them off again.

As for your FC level and stuff, I want to re-cap to ensure you have a good handle on things there.
1 - We are going to assume your new CYA is 50 based on this morning's results.
2 - Now that you have a good CYA, always go back to the FC/CYA Levels. There you look at the top chart (non-salt pool), find your current CYA, and see what your FC "should" be. Never let it fall below that minimum number or you run the risk of cloudiness and algae - especially once our water temps go back up.
3 - When you determine your FC may be low, go to the PoolMath tool or app. There you can see how much bleach (make sure you use the right percentage) is required to increase however many ppm needed. EXAMPLE: Using PoolMath, I see that two gallons of 10% bleach/chlorine should increase your FC by just over 7 ppm. You should not always need to add that much, but if your FC was zero this morning, something is not right. So add the bleach right away, then consider testing again in about an hour to see what it's at. The FC should hold fairly steady. Ideally, you never want to lose more than 4 ppm of FC in 24 hours.
4 - As for the FC testing, you never need all those scoops of powder. Do your FC testing as follows: Use the 10 ml water sample and add ONE generous/heaping scoop of powder. That's it. It should turn Barbie pink right away. If not, you have NO chlorine and need to add some ASAP. Now after you add the scoop of powder, mix and add the R-0871 drops one at a time until it goes clear. Whatever number you get, divide by 2 and that's your FC. (i.e. 8 drops from pink to clear = and FC of 4). Once you have that FC number, go back to the FC/CYA Levels and increase the FC as needed.

Because your FC dropped to nothing, perhaps more than once, I'm concerned about cloudiness and algae. If you see that let us know. But if the water is still crystal clear, I would increase the FC to about 8-10 for today. It's safe. But your water needs sanitation now before things get away from you. After that, if your water retains FC better, then maintain the proper FC as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Thanks this is very helpful. The local stores did not have liquid chlorine so I resorted to buying regular bleach. I also have shock powder but based on what I’ve read I should stay away from shock powder.

Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes all carry liquid chlorine.

Check your bleach. Be sure it does not have scents, splashless, Cloromax, etc. At best, it will be 6%.

it's been about 2 hours since I added the 2 gallons of bleach. I tested FC and it is 3.5 now. Should I wait a and test again later this evening or because I need to increase the FC higher just add now? also after checking a few stores I finally found some chlorine liquid? A number of stores were out but I found at Home Depot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.