Newbie on Day 7

Update: the water is clearing up!! I can faintly see the bottom :)
I've kept the FC up to 20...I've been chasing it all day. I suppose that's normal because the bleach is being used up killing the algae? I pour it in, test after 45 minutes and after three hours I have to add more to get back up to shock level. The ladies at Kroger are teasing me about all the bleach I keep buying!!! Oh well, right? This morning I bought 12 jugs....hopefully that holds me over for a while.
I also put more DE in the filter and that's working great!

I have noticed that my cya has dropped a bit. We've backwashed quite a bit and added fresh water...I keep my cya on the low end of acceptable anyway (35-40). Can I add more while I'm still shocking or should I wait? My level is about 25 right now (guesstimate....i can kind of see the black dot with the tube filled to the top). So how am I doing so far? Any critiques or suggestions?

karmazrevenge said:
Update: the water is clearing up!! I can faintly see the bottom :)
I've kept the FC up to 20...I've been chasing it all day. I suppose that's normal because the bleach is being used up killing the algae? I pour it in, test after 45 minutes and after three hours I have to add more to get back up to shock level. The ladies at Kroger are teasing me about all the bleach I keep buying!!! Oh well, right? This morning I bought 12 jugs....hopefully that holds me over for a while.
I also put more DE in the filter and that's working great!

I have noticed that my cya has dropped a bit. We've backwashed quite a bit and added fresh water...I keep my cya on the low end of acceptable anyway (35-40). Can I add more while I'm still shocking or should I wait? My level is about 25 right now (guesstimate....i can kind of see the black dot with the tube filled to the top). So how am I doing so far? Any critiques or suggestions?
You can add CYA by hanging the sock in. Don't pour it down the skimmer, because if you need to backwash before it's all dissolved...

Remember to raise the shock level to account for the new CYA level.

karmazrevenge said:
Ok, I'll make sure to do that. I brushed the walls and bottom today, but it's difficult to reach the far end with my short little self. When is it safe to get in and really brush it good?
How brave are you? :mrgreen:

When I was a kid, I swam in green rivers, slipping and slidiing on algae/mossy rocks. I lived.

If you do go in, I'd suggest keeping your head above water. Avoid ear infections or pinkeye.

I'm pretty brave! Grew up with a swing rope over a slimy lake....and believe me when I tell you we swam in it (probably swallowed a gallon of it too).

Last question...what are your thoughts on clarifier? Does it really make the smaller particles "stick together" for easier filtering, or is that just pool store talk? I don't have any...just curious.

Almost there! I lost 2ppm according to the latest OCLT. I can clearly see the bottom of the pool though :)
The plan for today is to keep shocking. What do I about tomorrow? The hubby and I are back at work and we won't be able to stay on top of it as well. Can I bring the FC up a little higher than the pool calculator suggests and then check it as soon as we get home?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2013-06-02_20-20-54_119_zps0a7cc424.jpg

Just about crystal clear! That blue triangle you see is where the steps usually sit - I guess it's protected so it stayed the original blue.

Pool is crystal clear, oclt was 2ppm. I'm still shocking today just to be safe.
Now that the water is clearing clear, I noticed sand coming out of the return jet. It only happens right after we backwash...no other time. By now you all know I just replaced the lateral assembly and laterals. I checked yesterday and they're not cracked (that was not fun!!!)
Any ideas why I'm getting sand on backwash???

karmazrevenge said:
Pool is crystal clear, oclt was 2ppm. I'm still shocking today just to be safe.
Now that the water is clearing clear, I noticed sand coming out of the return jet. It only happens right after we backwash...no other time. By now you all know I just replaced the lateral assembly and laterals. I checked yesterday and they're not cracked (that was not fun!!!)
Any ideas why I'm getting sand on backwash???
Leave it on rinse a little longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.