Newbie needs help with Winter Liner Installation

stevo88

Dec 23, 2019
Cape Cod, MA
Hi everyone! Just joined the site with the help of the Internet :). We started an in ground pool installation a few months ago, due to the landscaping we were delayed and then the weather got very cold, we are in the Northeast, Massachusetts- Cape Cod area. Anyway, the pool floor base - Vermiculite was installed a couple of months ago, they came to put the liner in but we had a few days of freezing temps so the Vermiculite crumbled apart. Today was 50 degrees and tomorrow looks good so they came out today and cleared out the old flooring and poured new Vermiculite. They put a tarp over the pool and put a heater under the tarp. They are planning on coming back again tomorrow (another 50 degree day) and install the liner. Is there anything I should worry about with this process in the winter? I assume I should see what kind of warranty I have for the installation because at this point we won't be using the pool for a few months, is it worth telling him not to bother until spring? Or am I overthinking the process? Any input on winter vinyl installations are appreciated! Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

I think it is questionable if they will get the stretch you need to fit the liner in the cold. There are ways though. Read...

Lets see if @jimmythegreek is around.

Last edited:
I would hope they keep the liner in a very warm place for several days so it will warm up through and through and be as plyable as it should be for the installation. If they do that, then there really shouldn't be any problem with installing it in 50 deg temps. A good install team should be able to have it hung in fairly short order.

Reactions: wireform
But what about filling it- they're going to have to "close" the pool immediately after filling with water unless they can keep the water out of the pipes in the first place... Cape Cod weather and all that, y'know?

What is usually done is the liner is kept warm in a room with a space heater for a day ahead until go time. Liner gets hung quickly and vacuumed then a truck fill of water. If you have fiberglass stairs they get cut in wet set, and any lights get cut. We leave all returns covered with trim ring and cut them in spring. Skimmers can be cut or left covered depends on water level wanted over winter

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.