Newbie looking for feedback

Apr 14, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Just started with new water and adopting this TFP method. Looking for feedback and any tips. Refilled pool on Friday and picked up Taylor test kit yesterday.

Pool water looks amazing.

Current readings:
FC 3.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.5
TA 130
CH 220
CYA 40 (very, very close to 30 on scale)

A few questions:
1. Should I target something specific for TA and CH, or just watch them and keep them in the acceptable range?
2. Am I correct to think that CYA should remain "lower" in the 30 to 40 range to reduce required chlorine usage (i.e., lower FC target), or will the Arizona sun eat more of my chlorine at that CYA level?
3. As I read and learned from this group, I am left wondering why so many place suggest a FC range of 2.0 to 4.0PPM with not regard for CYA level, when CYA levels impact the target FC so much?

That's all for now. Thanks for helping me get started.

az,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all those pool owners that want crystal clear pools... :swim:

Check out this chart.... https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

With a CYA of 40 you really want your FC up in the 5 to 7 range. 3 ppm is the absolute minimum you ever want to have.

I would leave everything else alone until after you have made several more tests.

A lot of our members that live in your area run their CYA levels around 50 or 60 because of the sun... I'm sure one of them will chime in soon.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R

Thanks, Jim. I'm going to get the FC back up in range. I was at 3.5FC yesterday afternoon; I added 25oz of 10% and my reading last night was 8.0FC (0.0CC). Mid-morning today my test was 3.5FC. Being a newbie, I thought maybe that was test error. Could my FC really change that quickly (with new water and either 0.5 or 0.0CC readings)?

Thanks, Jim. I'm going to get the FC back up in range. I was at 3.5FC yesterday afternoon; I added 25oz of 10% and my reading last night was 8.0FC (0.0CC). Mid-morning today my test was 3.5FC. Being a newbie, I thought maybe that was test error. Could my FC really change that quickly (with new water and either 0.5 or 0.0CC readings)?

Az,

If you look at Pool Math (Link at top of this page).. You can enter your pool size at the top and then at the bottom enter 25 oz of 10% bleach, you will see that it will only raise your FC by 1.4.. So you must have made a testing error.

Go look at pool math and tell me how much 10% bleach you will need to add to get from 3.5 to 7ppm... Go do it now and reply back.

This is a test and I'll bet you didn't even study... :p

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

Az,

You also need to keep in mind that your pool uses FC each day.. Each pool is a little different but usually between 2 and 4 ppm per day. Once you get your FC up to 7, it will not just stay there.

Jim R.

3.5 to 7 for my pool is 59oz :)
I have been using the calculator. My 25oz last night was to go from 3.5 to 5 (now aiming for 7, not 5)...And I see now that getting to 8 from the 25oz isn't realistic.
Perplexed by my bad test result as I am not careless... Live and learn!

If I split your 2 to 4ppm per day and assume I will burn 3ppm per day of FC, then I will need to add about 50oz per day to my pool (theorizing...I will test and treat accordingly).

Thanks for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.