NEWBIE in need of advice

efmoran7

Bronze Supporter
Jun 4, 2017
Florida
Well I have had this darn pool for some time now and really just fought with it but don't want to pay someone to do it.

I really have to say my struggles are my fault but I am ready to tackle it and have read once I get it balanced it should get easier.

I have a Tayler K2006 in my Amazon cart and CYA but do I need to also order SHOCK?

I am struggling with algae......again my own fault I have been listening to the pool store for to long and chasing it with bottle after bottle of stuff.

After much reading I think it can be easier and simpler so to recap

Ordered:
Taylor K2006
CYA

Will get:
Bleach

Questions:
Do I need bagged Shock 68% ?

Thank you for all the help

Nope, don't need powdered shock.

All the chlorine "shocks" leave behind something. The nonchlorine ones mess up the chlorine tests. If you want more details: Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Are you sure the K-2006 is the one you want? It is pretty skimpy on the FAS-DPD reagents. Check out the chart showing number of tests. There's a reason that one is the cheaper kit.

If you decide not to go with the kit from amazon, then don't bother with the stabilizer. You can get that at Walmart or Lowes locally.

Well I vacuumed, swept and cleaned my old filter and added 1/2 jug of pool store chlorine while I wait for my shipments to come in. I also turned off the spriters thinking that more oxygen in the pool can't be helping, hubby likes them but they can come back on when it is back in control.

Soon to come, new filter, test kit and CYA

Will pick up thermometer along with new corner brush to get all the nooks and crannies.

Question:

Can I stay with pool store chlorine or is household bleach better?

Well I vacuumed, swept and cleaned my old filter and added 1/2 jug of pool store chlorine while I wait for my shipments to come in. I also turned off the spriters thinking that more oxygen in the pool can't be helping, hubby likes them but they can come back on when it is back in control.

Soon to come, new filter, test kit and CYA

Will pick up thermometer along with new corner brush to get all the nooks and crannies.

Question:

Can I stay with pool store chlorine or is household bleach better?

Chlorine is chlorine. Go with whomever is cheapest at similar concentrations. Also, be certain it hasn't been sitting on the shelves for months as chlorine will lose potency over time. Finally, if you buy from a grocery store just buy regular bleach–not scented or "splashless".