Newbie in FL

psu77

Aug 26, 2017
Cape Coral, FL
Hello all. I am new to pool care and maintenance. I have never had a pool before so it is all new to me.

My pool is a 12000 gallon plaster pool. I had my home rented for 5 years and had a pool service maintain the pool. I recently retired and now reside in the home.

I terminated the pool service so now I am on my own.

First big mistake was purchasing one of those test kits from WalMart that you can use with a phone app. Thought it would be as simple as just following the recommendations on the app. WRONG!!!!

Added way too much CYA.......now I am trying to change out some water to get the levels lower.

No serious problems currently but I did notice some algae on the pool walls, probably mustard algae????

Really cannot shock the pool properly because my CYA levels are around 80 currently.

I have a lot of reading to do to understand this system.

I will have to add a signature, etc. Please bear with me as I try to understand this all.

Welcome to TFP where you will find lots of help and we will teach you how to take care of your pool and keep more money in your pocket. My recommendations is to first purchase a proper testing kit. Most here use the TF-100 test kit and you can purchase it from this link TFTestkits.net Please order the magnetic stirrer which will make testing a breeze.
Next I recommend that you read pool school Pool School - Pool School at least 3 times so that you can digest how all the chemicals interact. It may seem overwhelming at first but it will get easier with time.
The only way you can get help is posting a full set of numbers
FC
CC
TC
ph
CH
CYA
Last suggestion is have lots of fun :cheers:

Welcome to TFP psu77 :wave:

Whenever you are ready feel free to start tossing questions at us. Like learning anything it's always the worst at first as everything is new. We've all been where you're at, it's how we ended up here :wink:
You will need a good test kit and I do recommend the TF100, it's what I use too. +1 on the stirrer. It looks kind of silly but it's so much easier using it and being able to pay attention to your drop count rather than trying to count drops, watch color and shake the tube all at the same time IMHO.