Newbie Here

Oooooh. And it's going to be stupid hot in TX soon.

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to ensure there is no algae bloom starting. Then raise the CYA to 70. Hang granuals in a sock, carrot on a stick like, in front of a running return. It will squeeze out after some time.
That I'll have to try tomorrow. I don't have any granular CYA but I do have a bottle of, ahem, Leslie's Instant Conditioner. LOL! Should I just try to sell that and pick up the granular at Lowe's if they have it?

Muriatic acid can be added slowly next to one of the returns right or
Pencil sized stream. Brush well after. It's heavier than water and may puddle up on the bottom.
I'm still trying to figure out my FC. I have a SWG and it's set to 38% (rated for 40K gallons and I have a 15K gallon pool) and obviously I want that to do the majority of the heavy lifting for FC as opposed to always having to add LC.
Excellent. It takes good old fashioned trial and error to dial it in at first.
How important is it really to have CH in the ideal range of 350-550?
That's for plaster or grouted waterline tile. You're great at your 250.

Reactions: cdadams1223
I do have a bottle of, ahem, Leslie's Instant Conditioner.
No harm in it other than its spendy. But the goods clump up on the bottom and its nearly impossible to get an accurate partial dose. Not enough....... not enough....... not enough...... WAY too much.

No harm in it other than its spendy. But the goods clump up on the bottom and its nearly impossible to get an accurate partial dose. Not enough....... not enough....... not enough...... WAY too much.
Then granular it is! I'll have to find some tomorrow. Thanks for all your help!

EDIT: I'm tinkering around in the "Effects of Adding" portion of the app. I found a 7lb bag of CYA, brand name Pool Mate, on Lowe's website. I guess that's just as good as any other brand...it is 100% CYA. You said to get my CYA up to 70 so that would be 40oz of CYA to raise it 20ppm from 50 to 70. Sound good?

Last edited:
I found a 7lb bag of CYA, brand name Pool Mate, on Lowe's website. I guess that's just as good as any other brand...it is 100% CYA
Any 100% brand is good. (y) Google it whenever you need it because the prices change. If you have some time, puritech on Amazon is usually a good deal per lb.
You said to get my CYA up to 70 so that would be 40oz of CYA to raise it 20ppm from 50 to 70. Sound good?
Yes. But Overnight Chlorine Loss Test first. Slam FC is 40% of your CYA level. Going up 20 CYA raises your slam target 8 FC and you'd rather know before that you needed to SLAM Process.
Screenshot_20230327_210207_Chrome.jpg

And actually, I just ran the #s and the gallon of liquid CYA will raise you 25 so that's close enough if you havent gotten rid of it yet. Just make sure to swish the bottle clean a few times.

I did the OCLT last night and early this morning. Last night took a reading of 6.5 FC with the SWG off. This morning, SWG still off, FC was a 5.0. CC was .5 though which was good. I did dump enough oz of Muriatic acid to get the pH back to roughly 7.6. I can't do anything else until I get home for the evening.

I did the OCLT last night and early this morning. Last night took a reading of 6.5 FC with the SWG off. This morning, SWG still off, FC was a 5.0. CC was .5 though which was good. I did dump enough oz of Muriatic acid to get the pH back to roughly 7.6. I can't do anything else until I get home for the evening.
At 1.5 loss overnight keep slamming! It'll get there promise!

Reactions: newdude
I did the OCLT last night and early this morning. Last night took a reading of 6.5 FC with the SWG off. This morning, SWG still off, FC was a 5.0. CC was .5 though which was good.
Did you run the pump for 30 minutes before testing?

Looks like you need SLAM. I would not add any more CYA to the pool until you finish the SLAM.

Link-->SLAM Process

I haven't started the SLAM yet and haven't added any CYA. The only thing I've done is add 5ppm LC for three days and then test kit arrived yesterday. So when I get home from work, I'll begin the SLAM. I might recheck my CYA right...to make sure I add enough LC? I won't be able to babysit my pool though due to my job. I can't simply stay home and tend to it although I wish I could.

Reactions: clambert1273
I haven't started the SLAM yet and haven't added any CYA. The only thing I've done is add 5ppm LC for three days and then test kit arrived yesterday. So when I get home from work, I'll begin the SLAM. I might recheck my CYA right...to make sure I add enough LC? I won't be able to babysit my pool though due to my job. I can't simply stay home and tend to it although I wish I could.
Yes, recheck the CYA. SLAM when you can. I even slammed late into the night. I was extra and checked my FC every 2 hours late into the night....you can get a lot done even at night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Many have limped along to a weekend, or 'their weekend' if different from 9-5's.

The first day you really want to be free to test add every 2 hours. Usually by day 2, the FC is holding for 4 to 6 hours, allowing more side missions. By the third day, the FC is holding 8+ hours easily allowing the work schedule to resume while still making great strides.

You can dose early at any point if you need to get out and away. You will reset 'the clock' and buy you next few hours away. It's really pretty simple to work around a SLAM with a little planning. :)

Yes, recheck the CYA. SLAM when you can. I even slammed late into the night. I was extra and checked my FC every 2 hours late into the night....you can get a lot done even at night.
That's probably what I'll end up doing.
So, the FC/CYA chart suggests a range of 3-8 FC with a CYA of 50. So when SLAMming, I try to keep the FC at 8?

All of the links in the “SLAM” section for checking the FC to add take you to the FC/CYA relationship page. It doesn’t show the chart. Where’s the chart located?
Same page...use the radio buttons to select SLAM my cloudy or green swimming pool

Yikes! In the "effects of adding" I started punching in numbers. It takes 3 gallons of LC to raise FC to 20ppm!!! This is gonna get expensive. Guess I need to buy a LOT!
Yes, but if you are making additions every couple hours, your FC will not be at 0 every time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.