newbie here HIGH COPPER/IRON LEVEL

Yep, no other jets which surprised me too when we bought it but reading about the Aqua Geanie seems to be adequate. There is surprisingly good circulation but can't say much about the skimming process since the return is right under (built in) the skimmer which causes leaves etc to swirl right back around into the pool at times.

Let us know how it goes.

smforte said:
There is surprisingly good circulation but can't say much about the skimming process since the return is right under (built in) the skimmer which causes leaves etc to swirl right back around into the pool at times.
That doesn't sound very effective to me. Getting potential organics out of the pool as soon as possible (like when they are floating), can help keep a pool cleaner (and might cut down a little on the chlorine usage depending on how often you vacuum). I noticed on the aqua genie site that they have a "chlorine canister"? Do you use it?

linen said:
Let us know how it goes.

smforte said:
There is surprisingly good circulation but can't say much about the skimming process since the return is right under (built in) the skimmer which causes leaves etc to swirl right back around into the pool at times.
That doesn't sound very effective to me. Getting potential organics out of the pool as soon as possible (like when they are floating), can help keep a pool cleaner (and might cut down a little on the chlorine usage depending on how often you vacuum). I noticed on the aqua genie site that they have a "chlorine canister"? Do you use it?

I don't use the canister but have been putting the pucks (as ya'll call them) in the basket. I keep organics out as much as possible. People actually tell me I have OCD about it. I even float around in the pool with a net in hand. I do have tons of trees around my pool that aren't on my property that is a constant battle. I find it strange that I apparently had this same problem same time last year.

I put the bleach in and scrubbed all the green spots I saw about an hour ago. Now I'm not sure what to do next.

You should not typically be putting the pucks in the skimmer basket ... especially if you are not running the pump 24/7.

In fact, you need to stop using them altogether until you know your true CYA level.

linen said:
smforte said:
I find it strange that I apparently had this same problem same time last year.
Not strange at all. Like jbliz suggested, you do not know your cya level. I bet it is high (due to puck usage), and because of this you have not been using enough chlorine. Same as what I suspect happened last year. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry and http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

Well I took them dang pucks out. At least it looks pretty. :) I used the crappy lil tester I have for now til I can get it tested. Looks like my FC is a 5 for now and BR is 10 PH went up some but still below a 6.8 Hubby bringing home some more BBB. Will test again later. Then again in morning. Should I add Borax in AM if PH is still low then more bleach if FC drops?

Have you ordered a test kit yet?

You need the correct CYA level to know what FC level you need to maintain ... likely the CYA is high and the FC should be well above 5ppm to keep the water clear (this is why you need the FAS-DPD chlorine test).

Yes if the pH is still low, you should add borax to raise it into the 7s.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
smforte said:
Haven't ordered test kit yet but taking it to a sample to a more reliable source tomorrow.
Even with a different store testing it, we will still be suspicious of that number. Cya is the one pool stores get more wrong then right.

smforte said:
Stupid question maybe.....once I maintain the FC does the CYA level drop....?
No, once cya is in the pool, draining and splashout are the only common ways to lower it.

What is your reliable source? If it is anything but a friend of your that has one of the recommended test kits, then it will not be worth much.

If you want to follow our methods and keep a clear pool ... GET A KIT :whip: ;)

CYA only really drops if you actively remove water from the pool (splash out, backwash etc).

There an old guy here that has been in the pool business for over 50 yrs that serviced our pool when I was a child. He opened this pool for me and actually told me, look you can do all this yourself using BBB. I don't care if you buy chemicals from me or not. He actually came to my house a month ago when my pump lost prime and never sent me a bill. Trust this Co., but I want to learn to do this myself. And I promise I AM buying a kit. Matter of $$ right now.

Being in the business for 50 years likely just means he is stuck in his ways and he may not understand the CYA/FC relationship ... like most of the pool industry.

Does not matter how long he has been doing this ... if he is not using a good test kit correctly, then the results are bogus. There is something to be said about the consistency of doing it yourself.

Had a friend come and test...

FC 1.93
TC 2.03
ALK 0
Calcium 125
CYA 95
PH 6.26

So, it looks better. But he couldn't read any copper level. I'm assuming add borax next? Then how much bleach etc is what I need to know. Wondering also about the ALK and calcium

Those numbers did not come from a recommended test kit, so still suspect.

CYA is too high, FC is too low, pH is way too low, TA is way too low.

If you believe them, replace more water to lower the CYA, then use borax to raise the pH.

Didnt think to ask what type test kit he was using. I'm in such a tizzy over this. I have sprinkled in 24 oz borax so far and scrubbed the walls again. I'm sure ill need more borox but not sure how much. I did the pool calculator thing and it said 88 oz. and something about music acid? I'll put in more bleach in a few hours. Replaced over 1/3 water day before yesterday. Can't believe I got do more! Hubby stopped at pool store w numbers and they said only needed 15 lbs alkalinity, 10 lbs calcium then 6 c for ph which would run about $70 total...so now don't know which what to go considering I've already spend over $100 on BBB and no telling how much on the partial water change. Seriously thinking just let the dange thing turn into a pond and add fish! Lol. Seriously, I love my pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.