Newbie here - hello from me and my milky white pool!

fuzzywuzzy

Jul 22, 2020
East Bay Area, CA
IMG_3954.jpg

Saying hello from sunny-ish California! I just got my Taylor pool kit in and can't wait to get rid of all the expensive pool maintenance and pool store people in my life. I tested my pH and it was ~7.9. Calcium hardiness was 500 but the test was super light blue so could be a big higher. Haven't figured out the other tests yet but I was a biochemistry major in college (but its been a while LOL) so hoping I can get to the bottom of this soon :)

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Looks like you're battling a little algae there. Time to follow the SLAM Process. Hopefully you have the Taylor K-2006C test kit? Please add it to your signature along with all of your pool and equipment info. It will help later. Make sure to lower the pH to about 7.2 before starting the SLAM Process, and maintain the proper SLAM FC level during the SLAM until you pass all 3 criteria. If you're not sure what FC level to be at for the SLAM Process, confirm your CYA then look at the FC/CYA Levels. Good luck!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Looks like you're battling a little algae there. Time to follow the SLAM Process. Hopefully you have the Taylor K-2006C test kit? Please add it to your signature along with all of your pool and equipment info. It will help later. Make sure to lower the pH to about 7.2 before starting the SLAM Process, and maintain the proper SLAM FC level during the SLAM until you pass all 3 criteria. If you're not sure what FC level to be at for the SLAM Process, confirm your CYA then look at the FC/CYA Levels. Good luck!
Hi, thanks for the welcome! I do have a Taylor K-2006C (looked for recommendations here before signing up). Although its my first time using the results, here is what I got:

FC: 9.5ppm (just "shocked" my pool yesterday using tri-chlor from leslie's pool supply)
CC: 0ppm
TA: 150ppm
pH: 7.8 - 7.9
CH: 500ppm
CYA: high, my test only goes up to 100 and I couldn't see the dot way before then. I got it tested a while back and it was like 165 or something, so probably at least that now although I haven't used any tabs since.

I'll look into the SLAM process, thanks!

Put down your computer and test your pool water. Let's figure out why your water is hazy. Welcome.

Haha, thanks appreciate the enthusiasm! I just tested it now, here are my numbers:

FC: 9.5ppm (just "shocked" my pool yesterday using tri-chlor from leslie's pool supply)
CC: 0ppm
TA: 150ppm
pH: 7.8 - 7.9
CH: 500ppm
CYA: high, my test only goes up to 100 and I couldn't see the dot way before then. I got it tested a while back and it was like 165 or something, so probably at least that now although I haven't used any tabs since.

OK this is making sense now. First off dilute your pool sample with tap water by 50% and retest your CYA. Double your test result for a more accurate CYA reading.
You will need to reduce your CYA by draining some, or most of the water and refilling. How much depends on how high your CYA really is now so test carefully.

OK this is making sense now. First off dilute your pool sample with tap water by 50% and retest your CYA. Double your test result for a more accurate CYA reading.
You will need to reduce your CYA by draining some, or most of the water and refilling. How much depends on how high your CYA really is now so test carefully.
Wow that was super helpful, didn't even think of diluting it. My CYA is like 140 (did the test 3x to confirm). Is that what could be making my water cloudy?

It's not the high CYA by itself that's making your water cloudy, but high CYA is the root of the problem. With CYA 140, you are going to get algae growth any time your FC drops below 11 or so. The CYA binds up the chlorine, so the chlorine can't do its sanitizing job.

A partial water drain/fill is in your future. It's the only way to lower your CYA, other than waiting years, and you don't want to do that.

Do you have a saltwater pool, with a chlorine generator? Your target CYA depends on whether or not you have a salt water chlorine generator. Target CYA determines how much water you need to exchange.

It's not the high CYA by itself that's making your water cloudy, but high CYA is the root of the problem. With CYA 140, you are going to get algae growth any time your FC drops below 11 or so. The CYA binds up the chlorine, so the chlorine can't do its sanitizing job.

A partial water drain/fill is in your future. It's the only way to lower your CYA, other than waiting years, and you don't want to do that.

Do you have a saltwater pool, with a chlorine generator? Your target CYA depends on whether or not you have a salt water chlorine generator. Target CYA determines how much water you need to exchange.

I figured as much :( I'm going to see if I can rent a sump pump. Also, I don't have a saltwater pool (I have the other one, forgot the name).

Right, you are on the cusp of a full on algae bloom, aka "the green monster" due to a high CYA and low Free Chlorine level. See this chart...... FC/CYA Levels
You can rent a pump with hose from Home Depot. You may need to contact your county officials and flood control dept before draining to avoid a wrist slap so check this.
Also be certain you don't have groundwater issues under your pool or your pool shell will walk rise right out of the ground when empty. There are alternatives to a full drain if you suspect high water table.
Also my experience is similar to yours and can be reviewed in my first thread, link below in my signature.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your target should be to remove about 80% of your water, to get your CYA down to 30. The are ways of filling simultaneous to removing water which can be used to protect your plaster and to keep the shell from popping up if you do have a high water table. Not my area of expertise, so I'll let you do your own research and/or others can chime in to give you pointers on those procedures.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.