Newbie here. Have two problems

Darren35

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2014
Evansville, IN
First, I bought my home late last year. It had a pool so now I am a pool owner for the first time. It ran great all last year. Now I am finding lots of sand on the bottom. I have to vacuum nearly every day. I assume it is a lateral issue but I'm going to have to cut the plumbing pipes in order to access the bottom Of the sand filter.

Should I go ahead and order the whole "insides" like the long pole and all the laterals and just assume it is a lateral issue? I have someone to help me with the plumbing. I plan on getting screw like attachments so I do not have to cut the pipes every time. It's hot and I cannot afford much pump downtime.

Second issue. Per the previous owner the pump is a couple years old. Last night it got hot and shut down. Now I am afraid of it starting a fire. Should I take it apart and if so, what would I look for?

I am sorry if this is basic stuff, I just need to save money by fixing it myself. I am pretty handy with taking things apart, etc.

Thanks!

What you are describing is the stand pipe in the center of the filter. It could easily be the gasket under the multiport valve gone bad rather than the laterals. You need to plumb in half unions when you cut the plumbing to the filter. Pumps exposed to the sun in July get...HOT! Welcome to the forum.

Actually the water looks great. Sand is all over the pool. It contracted near some creases in the liner. I am getting a new liner due to my closing the pool wrong and now I have probably 10 creases.

Just got home from work, turned the pump on.. It shut Off after one hour and was very hot.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

And no, it wasn't dry when it shut off. Just very hot. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 42
I took the round motor off and the impeller looked to be clean and it turned fairly easy. It worked great last year in the heat wave. Not so hot now and it's overheating.

Any thoughts on why my motor may be overheating? Impeller seems to be good, and everything turned smoothly. I had some electrical work done and they may have used that electrical box to add an outlet underneath my house. Could that be an issue? How do you check?

Thanks everyone!
Darren

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.