Caro325

Feb 10, 2023
Frisco, texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hey guys, quick question. Here in Texas we are having our first artic blast and I wonder if I am doing the right things to protect my pool. My pool was already covered (winter cover). I wrapped the the exposed pipes in the equipment pad with insulation tape, I put a tarp over the equipment to protect them a bit from the wind, and I turned my pump on to run at its lowest setting continuously. Anything else that I should do???anything that I shouldn't have done??? any input is appreciated it

Since you are keeping the system on continuously until this storm passes, just be sure to know you contingency plan if power should go out for an extended period. That's something we have to always be conscious of to prevent freeze (expansion) damage. Other than that, fingers crossed no power outages.

Reactions: Caro325
You want to run the pump fast and not worry about the few dollars it'll cost to keep the water really moving. Covering the equipment is good and try to make it as air tight as possible. Put an incandescent light bulb turned on under the tarp where it won't cause a danger to keep things somewhat warmer. Make sure you have the emergency plan in place if you have a power outage and the equipment pad is dead. You need to know how to drain all and everything that's tarped at minimum.

Hey guys, quick question. Here in Texas we are having our first artic blast and I wonder if I am doing the right things to protect my pool. My pool was already covered (winter cover). I wrapped the the exposed pipes in the equipment pad with insulation tape, I put a tarp over the equipment to protect them a bit from the wind, and I turned my pump on to run at its lowest setting continuously. Anything else that I should do???anything that I shouldn't have done??? any input is appreciated it
Keep an eye on your water temps. If they are in the 40s this will probably be fine but as they approach 32 I would likely want to run the pump faster and faster and then you might want to start taking more precautions in skimmers and such to prevent any ice accumulation. If you have the pool completely covered as you say your temps likely won't fall as fast as mine do. I need to look into getting something to cover the pool in times like this. I have the equipment covered but nothing over the pool itself and that would definitely keep the water temps up higher longer.

Keep an eye on your water temps. If they are in the 40s this will probably be fine but as they approach 32 I would likely want to run the pump faster and faster and then you might want to start taking more precautions in skimmers and such to prevent any ice accumulation. If you have the pool completely covered as you say your temps likely won't fall as fast as mine do. I need to look into getting something to cover the pool in times like this. I have the equipment covered but nothing over the pool itself and that would definitely keep the water temps up higher longer.
Thank you very much. When I get home I will increase the speed on the pump. I do not worry about the skimmer as the water is below that level and it had not had water through it for a while (long story, but I though I had a leak because my water was dropping by a lot so I was discounting places for a leak, but then I realize that the problem was evaporation 😂)……
I do have a heat pump installed that I have never actually ran. It is off right now. Should I turn it on???

Should I turn it on???
If it is off, just leave it off. The water is probably too cold to actually turn it on anyway. Do you have a bypass for that heater? It would be ideal to bypass the heater and ensure it is drained to prevent freeze damage. If there is no bypass and water MUST flow through it continuously, then power off is fine, just be sure the water is always moving.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.