*newbie* cloudy/green water

Catanzaro,
Great info in that thread, especially Chem Geeks comments, boy I miss his input.

I like your idea even more now, great post:
Allow your levels to drift back down under 10 ppm. Check PH as well. Do not add anything during the evening, test at around 10 p.m. and then early morning the next day to ensure that you have passed the OCLT.

This is the reason why I always recommend allowing your levels to drift back down. Often, I read that levels go up instead of down with no additions, and everything points down to testing error.

Ironically, I have never had to SLAM my pool. Luckily, I found TFP early. Used to keep chlorine levels higher, but the rotating heads produced dried chlorine on my liner, so now I keep them very low and CYA at 30 instead of 50.

Good stuff to learn about, past 2 years I kept at 30 until I went away would use chlorinator (all I have) then adjust to 40 CYA, I had issues with getting a bloom (caught it early did not miss a day I wanted to swim and done in 3 days) when using solar cover, so this year I changed 3 things; 12 hour filter vs 6, CYA at 50 (will deal with 60 when I get back from vac or water replace but rather not, do not want to loose heat), and my CYA target for 50 is now 7 instead of 6. Have not had any problem yet. Knock on wood, now that I said that I will wake up to green pool, at least I know how to slam.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry PoolID I keep hacking your thread but at least your getting a good education, Did you check out Ron's Place? More good things to think about for the future.

No worries! I'm learning so much [emoji851]

Keep a little cheat sheet that you can refer back to and advise other members. One day, I will go in and alphabetize the categories to make life easier. Most of the learning is from personal experience and being active on the forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Good stuff to learn about, past 2 years I kept at 30 until I went away would use chlorinator (all I have) then adjust to 40 CYA, I had issues with getting a bloom (caught it early did not miss a day I wanted to swim and done in 3 days) when using solar cover, so this year I changed 3 things; 12 hour filter vs 6, CYA at 50 (will deal with 60 when I get back from vac or water replace but rather not, do not want to loose heat), and my CYA target for 50 is now 7 instead of 6. Have not had any problem yet. Knock on wood, now that I said that I will wake up to green pool, at least I know how to slam.

Pool Amatuer:

You may want to look at some rotating heads if you are using a solar cover. This will help circulate the levels better. Although at higher levels, the cover will wear out faster.

Thanks Catanzaro,
I am aware of the cover wearing out, I had read one Chem Geeks threads where he actually mathematically calculated the oxidizing power of slightly higher concentration, so I did not raise it until this year. I also had bought a 12 ML cover, its a pain, I will follow mas985's advice and go 8 or 5 ml next cover. and will acept the decrease in cover life for the extra heat and no algae bloom. I probably should not have done 3 variables at once, if I get through the 1 st part of Aug I may go back to 6 as my target. Great info and thank you, will consider all you have said

I have a solar cover and only use it when I know that temperatures will drop over the next few days and there will be use in the pool. It is a PIA even cut in half. Only mentioned rotating heads as some members have reported algae with covers on. I assume that the rotating heads fix this as never had algae.

Funny thing is that something told me to go outside and test the water (with basic kit). Wow, no chlorine because of friends kids in the pool. This morning, after additions, was probably at around 4 ppm. I could actually smell the CC on the towels. Just added 64 oz. turned the filter on for about an hour just to kick start me for the night.

Amazing how this forum teaches one to be pro-active.

OCLT test #2!
7/18 10p
FC 17
CC 0

7/19 6a
FC 17.5
CC 0
PH 7.2

e3c8e8ce1eb9d6ddb5d7b9fb30352684.jpg

We're cleaning filter 2x a day. Slime bags are on order!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is how the Slime bag company suggests using a slimebag on an Intex pool. You will need a clamp and need to pleat or fold the bag or even cut the bag as in the thread; SlimeBag for 1/10 of the price, yes you can!. You will not need adapter to screw into the return as I have, although you surely could make one I think, again not familiar with Intex.

- - - Updated - - -

[FONT=&quot]The majority of our customers have problems with the filtration package in that the “paper” cartridges just don’t filter adequately. Now, you have a solution![/FONT]

I saw this on that same page so maybe this will solve the problem. It appears you passed the OCLT.

I ordered the ones from Amazon as u suggested. Also, the slimebag threads u sent me have been so helpful.

The adapter from my over the top skimmer should work nicely on the return.

4f3520f0c3d98a842a79a755e80cbf47.jpg

Everyone's help has been absolutely marvelous. It was nice to see my kids finally swimming yesterday, so thank you! Can't wait to share a pic of crystal clear water ����

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.