Newbie, but I'll give it a shot!

thorbach

Sep 5, 2021
Dundee, IL
Hello! So we bought a house that has a 20K IG pool. Once we moved in and uncovered this thing, it made me vomit. Was dark green, smelled like sewer and seemed to have two feet of leaves and debris at bottom. I know/knew NOTHING of pools, so I just had the family out there raking up leaves for weeks, and I just kept dumping ungodly amounts of shock in, and run pump nonstop for months. Also, I found it key to buy a few new replacement filters and keep rotating them in (and cleaning out). They get incredible nasty quick! To my surprise, I actually got it decent after two months although very cloudy. We swam in for 4 days. Well couple days later, it turned green, and now it is out of hand nasty dark green again.
I started making long trips to Leslie's, where they told me conflicting analysis and kept selling me different chemicals. Last thing I did was add two buckets worth of dry acid over few days. This was done just before the whole thing went green, so not sure if it had something to do with the issue.
Frustrated, I told my family I am giving up and gonna rip the pool out. My youngest daughter pleaded her case, so I gave it one more attempt with a web search. I found this site and really like what I'm reading. You guys have given me hope. I'm gonna give it the ole college try!
I just bought the 2006c test kit and subscribed for Pool Math. Here are my initial readings (looks ugly right):
FC 0.3
pH 8.2
TA 140
CYA 10
So, based on what I've read, my plan is to:
1. put in suggested amount of Muriatic acid until pH comes into target.
2. put in stabilizer (no one has it around here, so had to order online, waiting)
3. THEN, go nuts with chlorine and SLAM it, to raise chlorine and kill algae
Does this sound right? Or should I be putting in shock/chlorine in now?

Reactions: TexEdmond
I just bought the 2006c test kit and subscribed for Pool Math.
Music to our ears! :party: Welcome to TFP! :wave:

1. - Correct. I would lower the pH to 7.2 in preparation for a SLAM Process.
2 - Yes. Aim for a CYA goal of 30 ppm. Even if you go to 40 it's okay.
3 - SLAM is correct! Follow that SLAM Process page and you'll do great.

You can lower the pH and add stabilizer at the same time. Once the pH is lowered, you can increase the FC level.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Great job getting one of the recommended test kits. @Texas Splash has you covered. You can do this.

Find a source for liquid chlorine, big box store, local pool store (buy the chlorine only, nothing else). You will need plenty. Good luck!

Just a bit confused. You have an IG pool, but your avatar shows an AG.

Also, I am wondering how you got an FC reading of 0.3. That’s an odd number. You might want to double check your math/typing/or testing technique to make sure you’re doing it correctly. You want to be good to go for that SLAM. 😉

A CYA result of 10: was the vial just a bit cloudy?

If you have a Great Escapes close by, try them for CYA/stabilizer if you want it sooner. Even though you ordered some online, it won’t hurt to have some extra on hand as stabilizer has a long shelf life and you’ll eventually need more.

Great Escapes also usually has good prices on 12.5% liquid chlorine: (around $4.00/gallon). I always buy mine there unless Menard’s is doing a big sale.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, I am wondering how you got an FC reading of 0.3. That’s an odd number. You might want to double check your math/typing/or testing technique to make sure you’re doing it correctly. You want to be good to go for that SLAM.
So, yea, I was really unsure of this, but I just did test again, same thing. So when I put the 0870 dip/scoops into the sample water, nothing happens. I had to put like 8 big scoops before water (10ml) turned the slightest tinge of pink. One reagent drop cleared right up immediately. So, the math says 0.5, but since I put so much 0870 in, I just took a guess of 0.3 as my result. Am I doing something wrong?
Also, lot of that stuff just clumped up together at bottom of vial, even with vigorous swirling. This same with everyone?

Don't read into the test instructions. Adding additional 0870 only wastes reagent and will require you to purchase more sooner.
The reagent is visible on the bottom because it will no longer go into solution when adding too much. Even with one big scoop in a 10ml sample you will may see some undissolved residue.
You are not the first to make this mistake with the 0870, simply follow the instructions in your kit.
Get your FC up to a minimum of 5ppm ASAP while you are preparing for the SLAM Process

Last edited:
How are things going?
Thanks for asking!
Got my pH down to 7.0, and I just got the stabilizer. I loaded up sock and trying to get it dissolved in skimmer. I have a lot of liquid chlorine waiting to do SLAM.

While out there, I am noticing something else I wanted to run by you experienced folk. Suddenly, my filter pressure is jumping way down (to almost zero), stays there a while, then jumps back up (to about 10-15). Prior to this sudden change, it has always been constant 15-22psi. I think I correctly checked for any debris that could be blocking skimmer filter or line, and also pump filter and impeller port. Same low pressure issue even if I filter out to waste, so I don’t think any issue with filter tank. I hate to ask but could this be sign my pump is failing? 😟
Thanks!

Thanks for asking!
Got my pH down to 7.0, and I just got the stabilizer. I loaded up sock and trying to get it dissolved in skimmer. I have a lot of liquid chlorine waiting to do SLAM.

While out there, I am noticing something else I wanted to run by you experienced folk. Suddenly, my filter pressure is jumping way down (to almost zero), stays there a while, then jumps back up (to about 10-15). Prior to this sudden change, it has always been constant 15-22psi. I think I correctly checked for any debris that could be blocking skimmer filter or line, and also pump filter and impeller port. Same low pressure issue even if I filter out to waste, so I don’t think any issue with filter tank. I hate to ask but could this be sign my pump is failing? 😟
Thanks!
Oh, to add on, I’m finding that a lot of air is somehow entering the filter tank and I keep checking and letting a lot of air out. Probs related, as I haven’t noticed this prior.
I also just cleaned filter.

You might have a bad gauge, or perhaps there is something interfering with water entering its port inside for a stable reading You might try and look at it or clean it out. As for excessive air in the filter, you might have air getting pulled in on the suction side. Check all connections from the skimmer to the pump inlet. You might not see a water leak, but air can get in. They can be tricky.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support