Newbie building pool in Dallas - looking for insights

Since your yard faces west and if you do not have shade on the pool, consider a chiller. Water temps of pools with full sun exposure here in DFW can easily get into the mid-90s. Also, get as much decking as you can. The 3’ perimeter decking will be narrow when walking around the pool.

Since your yard faces west and if you do not have shade on the pool, consider a chiller. Water temps of pools with full sun exposure here in DFW can easily get into the mid-90s. Also, get as much decking as you can. The 3’ perimeter decking will be narrow when walking around the pool.
I’ve been thinking about some kind of retractable canopy. Not sure how feasible it is to do a 20’x45’ and if HOA would allow it. I’m thinking of a U-shape frame on each end to hang and support the weight of the cables and canopy.

Reactions: Nikilyn
It looks like you have a lot of decking on the right side of the plan, are you adding a pergola or future outdoor kitchen? If that is going to be an entertaining space, you may want to consider flipping your pool to have the tanning shelf, steps, and shallow end next to that space. People that aren’t in the pool will likely want to hang out and talk with those in that area. Or adults may layout on the deck, then dip in the pool to cool off abs right back on the deck.

On second thought, since you mention your house being west facing and you’re wondering about shade options, I would flip the deck/pergola area to the other side so its on the south side. The sun will be in the southern sky so if you had a pergola close to the pool or cantilever umbrellas, it could provide some shade over the tanning shelf. Likewise umbrella sleeves in the tanning shelf and along the west side could provide shade in the afternoon. As your design is now, the sun would reflect off of the pool into that deck area.

Our backyard faces due west as well a we placed the pergola to provide afternoon shade on the shallow end. I’m trying to come up with additional shade options as well from a retractable awning off the front of the pergola to a 13’-15’ cantilever umbrella at the corner of the spa/pergola (it could shade/provide privacy for the spa (tilted) or swing out over the pool), or a triangle shade sail (attached to the pergola, our existing patio and a pole to the right of the spa).

Since it’s sunny right now, here’s a current pic of our pool. Since it’s almost the winter Solistice the sun is the most southern in the sky right now and it’s still early so the pergola shade is covering the spa now. In the afternoon a good portion of the pool is shaded.

E85C4A3D-6B01-4F3D-B3B1-6502FE1B79F4.jpeg

Reactions: mastervic27
Is that a BMR logo I see? They didn’t build our pool, but they built our outdoor kitchen/bar area. They did a really nice job and were 1/3 the price of what our pool builder quoted for the same area.

It looks like you have a lot of decking on the right side of the plan, are you adding a pergola or future outdoor kitchen? If that is going to be an entertaining space, you may want to consider flipping your pool to have the tanning shelf, steps, and shallow end next to that space. People that aren’t in the pool will likely want to hang out and talk with those in that area. Or adults may layout on the deck, then dip in the pool to cool off abs right back on the deck.

On second thought, since you mention your house being west facing and you’re wondering about shade options, I would flip the deck/pergola area to the other side so its on the south side. The sun will be in the southern sky so if you had a pergola close to the pool or cantilever umbrellas, it could provide some shade over the tanning shelf. Likewise umbrella sleeves in the tanning shelf and along the west side could provide shade in the afternoon. As your design is now, the sun would reflect off of the pool into that deck area.

Our backyard faces due west as well a we placed the pergola to provide afternoon shade on the shallow end. I’m trying to come up with additional shade options as well from a retractable awning off the front of the pergola to a 13’-15’ cantilever umbrella at the corner of the spa/pergola (it could shade/provide privacy for the spa (tilted) or swing out over the pool), or a triangle shade sail (attached to the pergola, our existing patio and a pole to the right of the spa).

Since it’s sunny right now, here’s a current pic of our pool. Since it’s almost the winter Solistice the sun is the most southern in the sky right now and it’s still early so the pergola shade is covering the spa now. In the afternoon a good portion of the pool is shaded.

View attachment 170074

Nice pool Robtown! What color Pebble Sheen is it? We’re leaning towards Tahoe Blue with Stonescapes Mini Pebble.

We originally had the pergola on the south side which is where the dining windows are but that meant the deep end would not be visible from the dining and living areas so for safety reason we flipped it and move the pergola to the north side. We didn’t flip the deck because wanted to keep the shallow end visible from the common areas.

Attachments

• 42F229A9-E53D-4BD2-B5CA-048202D167A1.jpeg
    42F229A9-E53D-4BD2-B5CA-048202D167A1.jpeg
    579.9 KB · Views: 23
Is that a BMR logo I see? They didn’t build our pool, but they built our outdoor kitchen/bar area. They did a really nice job and were 1/3 the price of what our pool builder quoted for the same area.

Yes. It is BMR! We chose them primarily for all the good things we hear from build quality to customer service. It is not the cheapest but so far the experience and professionalism has been great.

And I see in your signature the heater is rarely used and chiller runs all summer. Should I get a chiller instead especially with a west facing pool? I don't think we can do both with the budget.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ah good to know. May I ask the heat/cooling pump brand and model? Let me do some research on it.
Since you have Jandy equipment, you may start with Jandy. I dont know their products, but here is one of their heat pumps with an optional chiller feature:

Nice pool Robtown! What color Pebble Sheen is it? We’re leaning towards Tahoe Blue with Stonescapes Mini Pebble.

We originally had the pergola on the south side which is where the dining windows are but that meant the deep end would not be visible from the dining and living areas so for safety reason we flipped it and move the pergola to the north side. We didn’t flip the deck because wanted to keep the shallow end visible from the common areas.

We went with Blue Surf but it was a tough decision between that and Blue Granite. In the bright sun, I kind of wish we went with Blue Granite but then in overcast or shade, I’m glad we went with Blue Surf.

I understand about wanting to keep a watchful eye over the pool. I set up 3 cameras on the corner of the garage to be able to see the pool, patio, and playground. I can bring up the cameras on our living room TV and have a dedicated monitor in the kitchen so we can keep an eye on things while getting dinner ready even though our kids are 7 and 10. Obviously the picture is better during the day.

A5694BDE-BB5D-45A1-AE94-908AF85D8477.png

With a 40' pool it would be soooooo much fun if it were 7 or 8 feet deep at the far end. With 6' you can't dive, some will bottom out when cannon balling, etc. Floating around on a noodle or fat tire and letting your legs dangle is just as easy in a deeper pool, yet the deeper pool provides more play options. Teen agers, especially boys, LOVE to dive. Old birds like me do too.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Nikilyn
We went with Blue Surf but it was a tough decision between that and Blue Granite. In the bright sun, I kind of wish we went with Blue Granite but then in overcast or shade, I’m glad we went with Blue Surf.

I understand about wanting to keep a watchful eye over the pool. I set up 3 cameras on the corner of the garage to be able to see the pool, patio, and playground. I can bring up the cameras on our living room TV and have a dedicated monitor in the kitchen so we can keep an eye on things while getting dinner ready even though our kids are 7 and 10. Obviously the picture is better during the day.

View attachment 170140

Nice setup! Thanks for all the ideas. We do have security cameras on each corner of the house but no TV in the living room. 😳😀 Might need to put one in now.

I always see everyone say that, but I dive in my pool at 6 foot all the time. I even dive into my 3'6" end off of the raised spa with no problem.

please.... PLEASE! I'm speaking as a trauma nurse whose taken care of far too many new para/quadriplegics who've dived in shallow water. Deep water is safer water depth, and at minimum 7' is the bare minimum I'd suggest diving.

Maddie :flower:

And I see in your signature the heater is rarely used and chiller runs all summer. Should I get a chiller instead especially with a west facing pool? I don't think we can do both with the budget.
For us, the chiller has been the best thing we’ve done. I added it after the fact because our pool water would hit 95° in July, which is when you most want the pool. I looked at combo units, but I already had a heater, so I ruled them out pretty quickly. If you go that route, be sure to understand how they work. From what I’ve gathered doing research, heat pumps with chiller options are similar to your house AC, meaning expensive to run, especially in the outdoors. And the heat pumps don’t work well below 50°, which is pretty limiting. The Glacier chiller works off of evaporation, and the only thing consuming electricity is a fan, so it is very economical.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.