Newbie, based in Italy, with green algae problem

From my understanding the pH test starts to go bad at 10ppm FC. So the pH of 8 is probably close ... maybe it is really closer to 7.9. In either case, it is a bit high.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

So I need to add muriatic (hydrochloric) acid. TA is high too, so may as well bring iPH down to 7 to begin with. Pool calculator says I need 14 litres of muriatic acid, should I put this much in to begin with or less, then add more if need be? Also the CC was 1, so I guess I need to get the chlorine up to shock level, which at my CYA level is 31. Pool Calculator says 61 litres needed. Is it ok to put this much in all at once or will I damage my vinyl liner. We tend to put it in the deep end right above the main drain so it goes through the system quickly. Will this damage my pumps/filters?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just thought I would come back to this thread to say a huge thank you to all you guys. I have just turned my green pool (I know - I should have looked after it better in the winter) to clear and algae free (if not quite sparkling) in less than 2 weeks. :party:

CYA - my big problem last year, is down to 40, and PH just slightly low at 7.5. I did this deliberately to bring the TA down.

Nearly forgot, also had the sand in the filters topped up, working much better than they were last year.

I am now looking forward to a "Trouble Free Pool" this year. Thanks again guys.

OliveGrove said:
oops, made a mistake on the CYA. Used half pool half tap water so result should have been doubled :(. Still, 80 is a lot more manageable than over 140 :) A few backwashes should sort that.
However I tested while the water was still cloudy, which I understand can give false readings. Tested again today, clear water (maybe not quite totally clear as I had just been cleaning it) and the reading is 60. Done with back to sun and container at waist height. I think that is the correct way to do it.

So, another 12 months on, crystal clear pool, CC less than 0.5ppm, but seem to be going through chlorine quicker than I used to. CYA now down to 30, and we are having relentless sun at present:) (well up to this morning when it is raining). Could it be time to cautiously introduce some of that dichlor I was saving for times like this? Don't want to end up how I was at the start of this thread so just checking with you guys first.

If you have no other source of cyanuric acid you can use your previous supply, just be careful to stop at target levels.

BTW, I purchased my Simpool from http://www.aqua.it/ (it measures pH and automatically injects muriatic acid into the pool)
OK, will start by only adding about 5kg of dichlor (it's a big pool) and measure CYA again tomorrow. Don't think the Italians are into cyanuric acid here, they just through dichlor/trichlor or the newer 4 in 1 or even 5 in 1, then empty and start again when things go wrong.

Interesting site, will have a good look around it when I get a minute or 5.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.