Newbie and nervous - trying TFPC

8/8 10:15a. FC= 5. CC=.5. Adding chlorine to get it to the shock value of 10+

Ok, I think have to take back what I said about most of the algae being dead. I saw that the FC had only gone down from 16 to 15.5 overnight last night, which would be a great sign on its own. But it seems to have gone down from 15.5 to 5.0 in just a couple hours this morning, which means chlorine is still killing stuff and being consumed. These two observations don't make sense together, so perhaps something was wrong with one of the measurements, or maybe you added chlorine in between the 10pm reading and the 8am reading.

You're still on the right track, but maybe not quite the home stretch. Somewhere in between second and third base, maybe? ;)

So, you're saying it dropped more than 10ppm in just 2 hrs? That's not a good sign.

Yes. Or somehow I am doing the text wrong (pretty sure I am doing it right). Could the low CYA be the culprit?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I think have to take back what I said about most of the algae being dead. I saw that the FC had only gone down from 16 to 15.5 overnight last night, which would be a great sign on its own. But it seems to have gone down from 15.5 to 5.0 in just a couple hours this morning, which means chlorine is still killing stuff and being consumed. These two observations don't make sense together, so perhaps something was wrong with one of the measurements, or maybe you added chlorine in between the 10pm reading and the 8am reading.

You're still on the right track, but maybe not quite the home stretch. Somewhere in between second and third base, maybe? ;)

No chlorine added. I swear because I didn't have any. ��

I hope I was just wrong but I will begin testing hourly if I can

I know! Or I somehow am not doing the test correct but I am pretty sure I am. Could my low CYA be the culprit?

Have you checked out these videos on testing.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TF100TestKit/videos

Yes. First thing I did when I got the kit. Watched it a few times. I have the Taylor K2006

I doubt it would account for a 10 pt loss in 2 hrs. But, you're right, your cya is a little low. Running the test right is pretty difficult to mess up if you're following the instructions. 10ml of pool water 1-2 spoons of r-0870 and count the drops of r-0871 to compute FC then immediately 5 drops of the cc reagent. Then more drop(s) of r-0871 till it turns clear again.

I doubt it would account for a 10 pt loss in 2 hrs. But, you're right, your cya is a little low. Running the test right is pretty difficult to mess up if you're following the instructions. 10ml of pool water 1-2 spoons of r-0870 and count the drops of r-0871 to compute FC then immediately 5 drops of the cc reagent. Then more drop(s) of r-0871 till it turns clear again.
Yes. That's what I'm doing. Should I try to increase CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't think it's necessary to add more than the recommended amount of chlorine after each test, unless you think you may have underestimated the CYA level somehow. How much CYA did you add and how did you add it? Were you aiming for 20 ppm?

And you haven't added any pucks either? If you haven't added stabilizer, dichlor, or trichlor, I would expect CYA to be zero. Did the CYA test get cloudy at all?

You will certainly want to add CYA up to about 30 ppm at some point. The sooner the better because it protects chlorine from the sun and minimizes the effect of pH on chlorine effectiveness. It is sold as stabilizer, but check to see that it's nearly 100% cyanuric acid on the label. It is a powder that dissolves very slowly; best strategy is to put it in a sock or panty hose, then leave it in the skimmer or hanging in front of a return.

I just reread the whole thread, there doesn't seem to be any mention of you ever adding Stabilizer in any form! i had been assuming you added some because in your first post you said your cya was 20. That's why you are losing all your FC everyday!

EXACTLY!!! Put in enough to get you to 30ppm to start then once you have what ever is eating up all your FC everyday under control, then raise it to 50. Keep on slamming till you pass all three parts of the SLAM criteria. OCLT less than 1 ppm and .5 or less cc and clear water with no visible algae. Remember SLAM is not a one-time thing. Don't expect it to fix your problem in a day or ten maybe.

EXACTLY!!! Put in enough to get you to 30ppm to start then once you have what ever is eating up all your FC everyday under control, then raise it to 50. Keep on slamming till you pass all three parts of the SLAM criteria. OCLT less than 1 ppm and .5 or less cc and clear water with no visible algae. Remember SLAM is not a one-time thing. Don't expect it to fix your problem in a day or ten maybe.

Ok. Sorry i didn't mean to mislead anyone. Just got the stabilizer and getting a nylon sock!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.