Newbie and Mustard

Re: SLAM Complete

You should keep all your posts under one thread. Posting in other threads with the same issue is confusing and folks will quickly stop responding because they can't follow you.

7 A.M. update:

FC: 16 ppm. Not sure how I could have jumped 3 ppm overnight (other than SWG chlorine generation), but I did.
CC: 0.75 - was a very very light pink after 1 drop and 2 completely clear, so my guess I’m betwern 0.5 and 1.

Pool is clear.

1. I believe I passed OCLT?

2.Now I let it drift down to 6 ppm and maintain?

3. Do I need to add cya or adjust ph or anything? Cya is about 30-35.

4. Should I keep my SWG on 100%?

To do a OCLT you must have the SWCG OFF.

Take care.

Re: SLAM Complete

Yeah, I apologize - but I wasn’t getting any responses and wasn’t sure if I could let the fc drop to the maintain stage or if I needed to maintain shock level. Didn’t want all my hours of work to go to waste...

- - - Updated - - -

A mod can delete this thread if they like. I’ll go back to the original. I apologize.

Thank you. I was confused from earlier when you said I could leave it on, since it was so undersized. But I think you were saying while slamming and adding LC to maintain at 12ppm, I can leave it on?

So I will maintain 12 ppm again today, and I’ll before bed will shut of the SWG and perform OCLT tomorrow morning, correct?

Pending a pass tomorrow morning, should I be adding any cya? I’m going to the store this afternoon and could pick some up...

I suspect Marty was just saying it's okay to be on during the day. We get asked that quite often even though bleach it the primary method during a SLAM. But for the OCLT, yeah, it's got to be the water all on its own without FC help from anything. I didn't look back at your last set of numbers, but once you do pass the OCLT and SLAM, you will want to increase the CYA to at least 70 to help your SWG work more efficiently.

Ok thanks. I don’t have bleach but loads of 12.5% LC so I’ll just keep using that if that’s OK.

Assuming I pass OCLT tomorrow morning, I’ll add cya - pool calculator says to go from around 30 (where I am now) to 70 I’d need to add around 120oz of stabilizer or 304 oz of liquid stabilizer. Is either ok? I think I need to be very careful with with cya amount to not go too high.

Im also having family over the pool tomorrow, should I add the cya after everyone’s done/left?

Your LC is the same as bleach. Just a bit stronger.

The dry powder stabilizer is much cheaper. Just use 20ppm worth each time and then test 24 hours after it is fully dissolved.
Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

You can add the CYA anytime. Even while swimming. Just up your FC target based on the expected CYA level using [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Great. Thanks for that info!

Putting the sock directly in the skimmer basket might work best - there’s no danger it would flow through the skimmer hole and into the pool? I guess it wouldn’t matter...

Assuming I pass OCLT tomorrow AM, I’d be around 11-13 ppm. If I added 20 ppm cya then my new target would be 6-8 ppm. Would I need to worry dropping below that tomorrow during my pool party?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Probably not. FC should not drop more than 4 ppm during the day. Most likely less.

You can put the sock in the skimmer. I just wait for it to get wet and mushy and then massage it real good and it dissolves in a few minutes.

Thanks. I’ll probably wait until Sunday to add cya and just keep it at 30 cya and 6ppm fc...Assuming I pass OCLT tomorrow.

2 interesting things.

1. i just picked up the cya - came in a 4 lb bucket. Which is just over 60 ozs. Pool calculator says 60 ozs is needed to raise 20 ppm. The whole case. This is a lot to put in a sock! I guess I’ll need to find a big sock????! Or a couple of socks :)

2. I let the pool store check my water just for fun. They show my FC as 3.7. Off by about 7-8 ppm. They also showed my cya at 50. This pool store checks the water utilizing a computer program that analyzes the test strip (test strip is put into the machine)

This morning:

FC: 13
CC: 0.5
TA: 200

SWG was off. Pool is clear. I have passed OCLT

Questions:

1. I did two cya tests. One gave me a result of around 36. The other around 30. I’ll round up the mean to 35. I think I’ll make my target FC to be 7 - Just to be on the safe side. Is this ok? I turned on the SWG to 100% (it only dishes out 3-4 ppm per day)

2. I have a pool party today and Marty said that normally you lose around 4 ppm/day - with 7 as the target and currently at 13 —theoretically, I should just leave the Chlorine alone today, even with the added people - correct?

3. I’m going to wait until Sunday to mess with the cya. With a starting of 35 and adding 20 ppm at a time pool math calls for about 3 lbs of stabilizer. That’s a lot of dry stabilizer. If I do sock method should I fill each as much as possible and then repeat or use multiple socks? - I don’t think 3 lbs of cya will fit in one sock.

4. PH is reading 7.8/7.9 but I don’t know if this accurate due to SLAM and high FC. It’s never read this high - should I just test tonight after everyone’s left and FC is below shock level?

Thanks for taking the time to help!

1. We suggest you round up when reading CYA. You cannot measure between the lines of the vial as it is logarithmic.

2. You can leave the SWCG off for today. Check your FC after the party and add some LC if necessary, or start your SWCG.

3. Use multiple socks.

4. Wait until your FC is below 10 before testing pH.

Before the people arrive I just tested(7 hours from this mornings check)

FC is 8.5...surprised. That’s a drop of 5 ppm (and been misty/cloudy/little rainy today)...but passed OCLT so not too concerned I guess.

and PH is around 7.8.

Ill prob lower PH tonight after everyone leaves. Ideal is 7.4-7.6?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.