Newbie- 15x48 intex apg pool-need help!!

May 19, 2017
Tucson, AZ
We recently got a new intex pool for the summer. After reading several forums on here i see that many have mentioned upgrading the pump. anyone have any suggestions on what type/size of pumps should be used.

Since I"m fairly new to all of this are there any other major concerns that i should be aware of or any other suggestions.

Most people will say to advoid intex brand stuff, I agree, more costly and less performance. I ran a 10k gallons "rated" China pump and sand filter for three years on a 12'x30" and something like that would work for yours if you wanted something cheap. I think my brother has one on his pool that's about your size. $117 on eBay right now.

You would be okay with a 2500 or more gph Intex pump. I suggest a sand filter too. Intex will be the easiest to hook up, as the hoses will all attach directly to your pool. My only problem with them has been longevity. I only seem to be able to get a couple of seasons out of one before they go out.

Consequently, last year I purchased a much larger made-in-china pump from Walmart with a 19 inch sand filter. So far it has been bullet-proof. The drawback is that it won't attach directly to the Intex fittings. You have to either purchase or make some sort of adapter to hook it up to the Intex hoses.

New pump arrived today

I originally had the same pool, it was a nightmare. Always green, always low on chlorine! Come to find out the pump is not big enough for the amount of water the pool holds!
I purchased a Krystal clear saltwater system (you use this with the pump that comes with the pool)!
Ever since... I add the required amount of salt when I open my pool and maybe additional before the end of the season!
I set the timer on the SWP and it does its thing! I scoop out a few yuckies here and there!
Otherwise, just salt and filters! Easy and low maintenance!
Krystal Clear Saltwater System
Model # CS8110
Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.