Newb that needs help.

Just tested the FC and PH and I'm confused. Our son had a few friends over and they swam for about an hour. 9 kids and it also stormed during the night. We received .2 rainfall. PH stayed the same at 7.2 and the chlorine rose to 5 possibly higher. My HTH kit only goes to 5. My k2006 will be here Monday. I thought those variables would drive down the FC level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If Vit C lightens a stain that means the stain is from metal, usually copper or iron. Iron usually comes from a well and copper usually comes from algaecide, mineral/copper systems or low PH, below 7.0, corroding a copper heat exchanger in a heater.

Those fill water numbers are not too bad.

Coach, first off, welcome.

Secondly, are you on a well at all? If you are, you might want to pick up a metals test kit, eg Lamotte makes a cheaper home version. If not, metal testing is one thing the pool store can be useful for if you ignore anything else they say ;)

Its helpful to know what level you're dealing with and whether dilution is viable ;)

Normally, with metals, you dose with a "HEDP" type sequestrant such as Jacks Magic or Metal Magic. In some cases, the sequestrant alone will lift a fresh stain...eg I've had great luck with this: http://www.proteampoolcare.com/images/uploads/MetalMagicSpongeTest.pdf

In other cases, some people do an Ascorbic Acid treatment (you can search threads for this.) but since you JUST did an acid wash, I'm not sure that's entirely the right route just yet.

Lets figure out the source first and the level to find the best way forward ;)

The pool guys told me to add a heavy dose of algeacide after it filled up. 2 or 3 times the recommended dose if I remember correctly. Going to take a water sample and have the metals tested tomorrow.

Also, is it normal to feel like a kid waiting on Christmas for my k2006 test kit to arrive tomorrow? Can't wait to see some real test results and switch over to the bbb method tomorrow.

Now I'm really confused. I left a puck on the floor of the pool for over 24 hrs. Was really too lazy/tired to jump in and get it. When I picked it up there was a white spot the perfect size of the puck. Also, the stains are increasing in size. Chlorine went up 1 over night and ph dropped .3 back to 7.2

Pucks are acidic also so if they don't affect the stain within the first 5-10 minutes then the stain isn't organic. At that point is the acidity of the puck that is lifting the metal stain same as a Vit C tablet would.

Not only is it normal for you to be like a kid in the candy store waiting for your test kit. We are also anxiously awaiting your test results! That is when you really know you are hooked! :-D

What is your chlorine level?

El cheapo tester says Cl is 5.

As many people have said, I'm so thankful a friend referred me to this site. Y'all have been a blessing. It's amazing how the two pool stores in town have no idea of reality.

Off topic but I just noticed I've got air bubbles from a return jet and my pump drains almos half empty when turned off. Hopefully it's just u a bad O-ring or something simple. Between recently buying this house and making all the repairs/improvements that go along with that and this pool, I'm wore out. I'm ready to float around the pool with a floating cooler full of silver bullets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.