New water refill with chlorine still zero

alfa01

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2015
Van Nuys, CA
Hello there,

Due to high Calcium (1200+) I have refilled my pool water (12 years old water) with 100% new water. Two days passed TC is still zero after adding 2 gallons of liquid chlorine from local wholesale pool mart which I use for maintaining my pool. Water looks great. I have Newer Taylor K1001 test kit and older K2005 with new Ch test reagents,
Here are my numbers
FC-0
PH-7.2
TA-90
CH-130
CYA-30 (still see the dot but no more levels available to be exact)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Are you sure that the Liquid Chlorine you purchased was fresh stock? No older than 90 days since manufacturing? Liquid Chlorine loses strength due to time, temperature and storage conditions.

I'd go buy some from another source, checking the Julian date code stamped on the side. It should say something like 22090 or higher. That 090 is the date for March 31st- the oldest day you'd want to buy from. Today is 22180.

Maddie ☮️

Great that you were able to reduce CH.
With your CYA at 30 or less - you need to add stabilizer.
That is allowing the UV to consume your chlorine.
What % is your liquid Chlorine?
Refer to the FC/CYA Levels to target a CYA level and corresponding FC level.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Are you sure that the Liquid Chlorine you purchased was fresh stock? No older than 90 days since manufacturing? Liquid Chlorine loses strength due to time, temperature and storage conditions.

I'd go buy some from another source, checking the Julian date code stamped on the side. It should say something like 22090 or higher. That 090 is the date for March 31st- the oldest day you'd want to buy from. Today is 22180.

Maddie ☮️
I'm not sure if it was fresh stock because there are no labels on them. All pool guys buy from them in my area as they are wholesale and happens to be 5 minute drive from my house. I always assumed as their stock goes fast it would be fresh and never asked to be honest. I have two more gallons so if those wont raise my TC then I would go get it one from Leslie's or Home Depot. Thanks for your fast reply.

Chris D.

Great that you were able to reduce CH.
With your CYA at 30 or less - you need to add stabilizer.
That is allowing the UV to consume your chlorine.
What % is your liquid Chlorine?
Refer to the FC/CYA Levels to target a CYA level and corresponding FC level.
I have no idea the % of liquid Chlorine as where I buy those don't have labels. (local wholesale pool mart). I will add two pounds stabilizer per Pool Math today to get it close the CYA to 50. By the way CFC Chat links takes me to new app page. Any idea why?

I'm not sure if it was fresh stock because there are no labels on them. All pool guys buy from them in my area as they are wholesale and happens to be 5 minute drive from my house. I always assumed as their stock goes fast it would be fresh and never asked to be honest. I have two more gallons so if those wont raise my TC then I would go get it one from Leslie's or Home Depot. Thanks for your fast reply.

Chris D.
I got curious about the dates and checked the gallons . It looks like that the dates are embedded on the gallons ( attached picture.)

Attachments

• ChlorineDate.jpg
    ChlorineDate.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 14
I have no idea the % of liquid Chlorine as where I buy those don't have labels. (local wholesale pool mart). I will add two pounds stabilizer per Pool Math today to get it close the CYA to 50.
What value % are you putting in Pool Math to calculate your chlorine addition?

I got curious about the dates and checked the gallons . It looks like that the dates are embedded on the gallons ( attached picture.)
That may be the plastic container mfg. date. Not sure - but unlikely they press the date into the plastic if the local distributor is filling them. They should tell you when you go there next time.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That may be the plastic container mfg. date. Not sure - but unlikely they press the date into the plastic if the local distributor is filling them. They should tell you when you go there next time.
These are for sure Chlorine gallons by "Hasa" but my guess would be that they reuse them because fast turn around or ?. I will for sure ask about that.

Attachments

• ChlorineGallon.jpg
    ChlorineGallon.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 4
These are for sure Chlorine gallons by "Hasa" but my guess would be that they reuse them because fast turn around or ?. I will for sure ask about that.
This states 12.5%. If this is a distributor, I would agree the chlorine would be fresh because of high turnover of sales.
So is something else eating your FC or is your CYA too low? (refer to original comments above).

If I were to guess tht looks like December 21?? Surely not, but.....?
Yea doesn't look like usual Julian dates but may be there is way to read as 2 is 22 etc... I have two more gallons with different dates. My guess is they reuse them... Will find out

Attachments

• ChlorineGallon1.jpg
    ChlorineGallon1.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1
  • ChlorineGallon2.jpg
    ChlorineGallon2.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
This states 12.5%. If this is a distributor, I would agree the chlorine would be fresh because of high turnover of sales.
So is something else eating your FC or is your CYA too low? (refer to original comments above).
I believe they are a distributor. My CYA could be too low because 30 is the starting level on my test kit (30-100) and the black dot at that level visible as clear sky. I added 2 pounds stabilizer just now. I also checked the chlorine again as few hours before posting I added another gallon of chorine and test show it has moved to 1ppm. Added another half and will check tomorrow. Hopefully stabilizer will help. Also I have been told that my pool would consume more chlorine because of dog hair. I have a double coated German shepherd. Is this credible?

Also I have been told that my pool would consume more chlorine because of dog hair. I have a double coated German shepherd. Is this credible?
2 main items that consume chlorine are UV and bather load (this includes animals, tree/plant debris and humans).
If you were to have algae then that also consumes chlorine.

Just to update my pool's chlorine level is still zero after adding 2 more gallons since last post. I also added 4 lb of stabilizers only one lb left to be dissolved. CYA probably still way lower as the level on my test kit still at 30. I'm able to control the Ph at 7.5 but it consumed 2 gallons since new water refill. Pool water is Christal clear (picture attached)

Attachments

• Pool1.jpg
    Pool1.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 3
Just to update my pool's chlorine level is still zero after adding 2 more gallons since last post. I also added 4 lb of stabilizers only one lb left to be dissolved. CYA probably still way lower as the level on my test kit still at 30. I'm able to control the Ph at 7.5 but it consumed 2 gallons since new water refill. Pool water is Christal clear (picture attached)
Your last post was 9 days ago on June 30. Are you adding LC daily or by batch treatments? It would not surprise me that UV consumed the LC since you have very low CYA.

Suggest you raise LC and do daily dosing. My climate is a little different then yours but I am adding 32 oz in morning and 32 oz in afternoon (1/2 gal a day) and my CYA is 50.
1 gal of LC (10%) raises FC by 6.7 (for 15k gals) but UV may be consuming 2-3 ppm per day. So add 2gals and test, then add 1-2 qts a day to maintain.

Right now you need to be testing daily until you get your CYA up.

You need to raise your CYA. Test CYA again and if it is still 30 or less, then add stabilizer.
Using 15k gals, 1 pound of dry stabilizer will raise CYA by 8ppm. So your 4 lbs is about 32 ppm. Suggest you add the remaining 1 lb. Let it mix well (>12 hrs), test again and see where your CYA is.

Your last post was 9 days ago on June 30. Are you adding LC daily or by batch treatments? It would not surprise me that UV consumed the LC since you have very low CYA.

Suggest you raise LC and do daily dosing. My climate is a little different then yours but I am adding 32 oz in morning and 32 oz in afternoon (1/2 gal a day) and my CYA is 50.
1 gal of LC (10%) raises FC by 6.7 (for 15k gals) but UV may be consuming 2-3 ppm per day. So add 2gals and test, then add 1-2 qts a day to maintain.

Right now you need to be testing daily until you get your CYA up.

You need to raise your CYA. Test CYA again and if it is still 30 or less, then add stabilizer.
Using 15k gals, 1 pound of dry stabilizer will raise CYA by 8ppm. So your 4 lbs is about 32 ppm. Suggest you add the remaining 1 lb. Let it mix well (>12 hrs), test again and see where your CYA is.
I'm heading to get LC. I didn't clean my filter when I change the water but I did back wash. I'm going to do that today to to clean all calcium deposits from cartridges. I will post my results. Thanks and have a good weekend.

Last edited:
I'm heading to get LC. I didn't clean my filter when I change the water but I did back wash. I'm going to do that today to to clean all calcium deposits from cartridges. I will post my results. Thanks and have a good weekend.
Here is my update. Saturday morning I cleaned my filter , added one gallon 12% LC and 2.5 lb of stabilizer one tablet and the rest I got powder for fast dissolving. Afternoon my FC was 5 and CYA was lower that 30. Saturday evening FC dropped to 0-1. Sunday morning I added 3/4 10% LC (left over form Home Depot) and 1 lb of powder stabilizer. Sunday evening and all day today everything's looks fine. Just checked the following. Only thing is off a bit is TA. Thanks for all suggestions.

FC- 3
CYA-40
TA-60
PH-7.2--7.3
CH-didn't check as my water is new.(was 130 on last week of June)

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.