New water fill in vinyl liner pool

Jan 5, 2020
Oklahoma
Hello!
I have a 36,000 gallon vinyl liner pool. The liner will be replaced shorty and I’m wondering what are the recommended steps in which to start modifying the water chemistry? I plan I’m using liquid chlorine.
I have read the ABC’s of pools and the Pool School book (very helpful and thank you very much BTW).
I’m planning on filling it with a garden hose using city water.
I’m wondering in which order to adjust pool chemistry and when to begin (after pool fully filled?).
Also, I have a sand filter and there was algae in the pool (and in the filter) before the pool was drained. I’m wondering how to address the filter?
Thank you in advance.

What are the pH, TA, CH of your fill water?

Since your pool has algae then after the fill follow the SLAM Process. Raise CYA to 30, lower pH to 7.2, and raise FC to 12 following FC/CYA Levels

Once you meet the three exit criteria for the SLAM Process then post a full set of tests and we will figure out where you are compared to...

What are the pH, TA, CH of your fill water?

Since your pool has algae then after the fill follow the SLAM Process. Raise CYA to 30, lower pH to 7.2, and raise FC to 12 following FC/CYA Levels

Once you meet the three exit criteria for the SLAM Process then post a full set of tests and we will figure out where you are compared to...

pH= 7.8
TA=120
CH= ? (I’ll be getting reagent to test on Tuesday).
Does it matter the order? First adjust pH? Then CYA? Then add chlorine?

I attached some screen shots from pool math as far as what it recommends I add to SLAM.
Thanks! Appreciate your help!

Attachments

• AD3B46F6-7078-4D67-905A-46420C30A9FE.png
    AD3B46F6-7078-4D67-905A-46420C30A9FE.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 0A8B2E94-7832-4338-A69D-94596093CA48.png
    0A8B2E94-7832-4338-A69D-94596093CA48.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 576209F8-A81D-46C9-96C2-F211B85361EA.png
    576209F8-A81D-46C9-96C2-F211B85361EA.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 9
Order doesnt matter except add acid then chlorine at least 15 minutes apart. PH and stabilizer first then chlorine.

Pool is up and running. Appreciate the assistance so far!

I am pretty surprised at how much liquid chlorine will be needed on a daily basis. Using pool math, if my CYA is 40 and (from what I’ve read a pool can fluctuate 2-4ppm / day) if I need to raise FC by 4 ppm, that’s over a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine!
Does that sound accurate? Are people potentially adding a gallon of liquid chlorine a day? If so, doesn’t this require constant trips to the store? Do stores even keep stocking that much liquid chlorine?

Yes & Yes and that's why many folks install a SWG when they get tired of running to the store.

Pool is up and running. Appreciate the assistance so far!

I am pretty surprised at how much liquid chlorine will be needed on a daily basis. Using pool math, if my CYA is 40 and (from what I’ve read a pool can fluctuate 2-4ppm / day) if I need to raise FC by 4 ppm, that’s over a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine!
Does that sound accurate? Are people potentially adding a gallon of liquid chlorine a day? If so, doesn’t this require constant trips to the store? Do stores even keep stocking that much liquid chlorine?
Yes, that is correct. You have a huge pool. It's going to take huge quantities of chemicals. But you may not ever need 4 ppm per day and a lot of pool stores sell 12.5% chlorine so less is needed.

Depending on your CH reading (you never told) you might be able to use Cal hypo for a while. Every 4 FC it adds raises CH by about 3. So do the math.

You could always add a salt water chlorine generator and make your own bleach onsite right in the pool.

WOW! exactly the thread I needed now.

Not to hijack but to compliment.

Assuming the exact pool or a bit bigger (as sig.) and fill time was about 5-7 days on hot weather, but with SWG.

What do you add as the pool is filling for it not to turn green on its way to full? SWG can't be started till full to skiemer.

If fill time is too long should a water truck be considered?

Stir in 3-5 ppm of liquid chlorine using the pool brush.

If you are filling from a municipal water supply the water has 1-2 ppm of chlorine which will keep the water clear until the pool is filled.

WOW! exactly the thread I needed now.

Not to hijack but to compliment.

Assuming the exact pool or a bit bigger (as sig.) and fill time was about 5-7 days on hot weather, but with SWG.

What do you add as the pool is filling for it not to turn green on its way to full? SWG can't be started till full to skiemer.

If fill time is too long should a water truck be considered?
You can estimate volume by how deep the water is and use pool math to give you a dose for 3 FC. Then just driblbe it into the stream as you're filling. Maybe stir it around with the brush.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.