New water and TC higher then FC

Mar 4, 2017
Mesa/Az
Hello,
I just drained my pool, and had it acid washed and the calcium line removed from my tile. I refilled the pool and just also had a salt cell added. My latest readings were FC at 4.96 and TC at 5.5. This is the second time the TC has been above the FC. Last time I believe the difference was about 0.3. The pool store recommended some “Fresh and Clear” to resolve the issue. Looking for comments on how to proceed.
Thank you

Attachments

• 57C069BA-3BB3-4DC3-8344-07F9435F1457.jpeg
    57C069BA-3BB3-4DC3-8344-07F9435F1457.jpeg
    553.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Pool stores are notoriously inaccurate. Get yourself a good test kit, TF-100 or a Taylor K2006. I imagine that will be echoed here. Is free and clear a non chlorine shock? I don't know why you would use that instead of chlorine. I would use liquid chlorine(pool bleach) if you suspect that you have higher than .5ppm CC's.

Reactions: PatricksPool
Daniel,

This is one of those Duh moments.. TC = FC + CC.. This means it is impossible for to TC to be less than FC...

Assuming your pool store testing is correct, then your CC is about .5 and not an issue.

That said, I would rather it dribble down my leg than go into a pool store just to use their bathroom, much less have them test my water, or worse yet, sell me any "magic" potions. :mrgreen:

I suggest that you take a long read through our Pool School...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Daniel,

This is one of those Duh moments.. TC = FC + CC.. This means it is impossible for to TC to be less than FC...

Assuming your pool store testing is correct, then your CC is about .5 and not an issue.

That said, I would rather it dribble down my leg than go into a pool store just to use their bathroom, much less have them test my water, or worse yet, sell me any "magic" potions. :mrgreen:

I suggest that you take a long read through our Pool School...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,
I understand that it is impossible for TC to be less than FC. My concern was that the difference was around 0.5, and it may be significant enough to address it. Thank you for the response.

One of the most important things about pool care is not trying to mix styles. If you've decided you want to go to the pool store for testing and advice, then you should listen to them. Our advice would be very counter to any you got from the pool store and you'd just be looking at two very sets of instructions for how to proceed. You can't take the advice you like from the pool store and the advice you like from here and expect to get a working pool care technique.

One of the most important things about pool care is not trying to mix styles. If you've decided you want to go to the pool store for testing and advice, then you should listen to them. Our advice would be very counter to any you got from the pool store and you'd just be looking at two very sets of instructions for how to proceed. You can't take the advice you like from the pool store and the advice you like from here and expect to get a working pool care technique.
Thank you for the response. I enjoy reading and learning from this site. I test my own water but I did not have the ability to test for a salt level since I just added a salt cell. I posted the pool store testing results to determine if a 0.5cc level is a concern. Once I get my salt level where it needs to be I will not need to go there for testing.

Daniel,

Generally, CC will be close to zero, but anything of .5 or less is perfectly fine.

Anyone that owns a Saltwater pool needs to have a salt test kit.. I use the Taylor K-1766.. It will almost last forever.. It is very important to know the "actual" salt level of the pool water vs. what the cell reports as the salt level.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It's worth it to have the k1766 to test your own salt. I only need to once a year as I am getting my salt levels up after the winter rains. And it would have been handy when my first cell died, I would've been nice to have an independent test to tell me the SWG was going insane and not me. My pool store just uses the strips.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.