New Vinyl Liner pool start up

This is great, thank you. Yes, I figured both would be "on" all the time but I didn't know at what capacity. So, maybe with an autocover I don't have to run it at 100% with the pump on full blast 24/7
Yeah lots of variables. The amount of CYA you have will also play a factor.

I always added my salt while the pool was filling and let the water stir it up and dissolve it.

View attachment 420985
I was actually thinking it doesn't really matter if the pool is full so long as there's enough water to dissolve it well....

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Alright! The pool was filled last week (full on Thursday). Salt added Thursday with CYA and LC added on Friday. I've been testing once or twice a day (depending on if I add anything)

pH initially read 7.1, the next day was 8.1 then 8.4 after some heavy use. Added some MA (31.45% HCl) and got it down to 7.9 where it's so far stayed.

Current numbers are:
pH 7.9
FC 5
CC 0
TA 220
CH 250
CYA 70
Salt: test reads 2600ppm while the automation says 2900ppm

One question regarding the CYA test - should the dot be totally gone? If I can see a faint shadow but can't make out the shape or see defined edges, do I keep going? CYA might be closer to 60 but its without a doubt within the 60-70 range

Thoughts or suggestions? I assume I should keep testing daily until things stabilize?

One question regarding the CYA test - should the dot be totally gone? If I can see a faint shadow but can't make out the shape or see defined edges, do I keep going? CYA might be closer to 60 but its without a doubt within the 60-70 range
For the CYA, look away and look back with a flash of a glance. If you stare you see it.

Mine took about a week to settle. Both my salt and CYA were testing high like the pool was 10k gallons less than my old one of the same size. The FC was testing like it was a hair bigger and I trust that one more as it needs 15 mins to mix. (With fresh week old chlorine)

But the CYA came down and I'm due to check the salt to see if it did also.

Reactions: KfenTx
For the CYA, look away and look back with a flash of a glance. If you stare you see it.

Mine took about a week to settle. Both my salt and CYA were testing high like the pool was 10k gallons less than my old one of the same size. The FC was testing like it was a hair bigger and I trust that one more as it needs 15 mins to mix. (With fresh week old chlorine)

But the CYA came down and I'm due to check the salt to see if it did also.
Thanks! Yes, I'm actually still seeing a bit of solids so I figured CYA and/or salt wasn't totally accurate yet.

We've only put in about 80% of the recommended salt so far because I didn't want to overshoot. Same with CYA, I put just a hair less than PoolMath suggested.

Reactions: Newdude
It's hard to wait when you know what it should do in 1-2 days and it doesn't. :ROFLMAO:

Besides my curiosity, I was only concerned that I had enough salt to run the SWG and enough CYA to protect most of what i made. Once I saw I could get by for now, I put those tests down for a week and just ran the daily FC and PH.

It's hard to wait when you know what it should do in 1-2 days and it doesn't. :ROFLMAO:

Besides my curiosity, I was only concerned that I had enough salt to run the SWG and enough CYA to protect most of what i made. Once I saw I could get by for now, I put those tests down for a week and just ran the daily FC and PH.
Ahaha. Yes, I didn't bother testing anything but pH and FC this morning. I figure CYA and salt will go up if anything (for now). TA and CH don't seem to matter so much and also are more stable.

Should I expect the pH to stabilize more or will that always change a bunch depending on use?

Should I expect the pH to stabilize more or will that always change a bunch depending on use?
What's it doing ? I can't see your logs / sig link broken(?). Once the SWG is going it will likely want to sit at 7.8 or 8. Give it small corrections at 8 or 8.2 and just let it live on the higher side of OK.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What's it doing ? I can't see your logs / sig link broken(?). Once the SWG is going it will likely want to sit at 7.8 or 8. Give it small corrections at 8 or 8.2 and just let it live on the higher side of OK.
Hmm I'll have to try to fix that.

Saturday AM - 7.1
Saturday PM - 8.1
Monday AM - 8.4
Added MA
Monday PM - 7.9
Tuesday AM - 7.9

SWG is on now but we're still working out the %/pump % and run times. However, we didn't lose any FC in the last 24 hours so I think we're close?

7.9 seems fine. I just didn't know if I should expect more large fluctuations (ie going back up to 8.4)

SWG is on now but we're still working out the %/pump % and run times. However, we didn't lose any FC in the last 24 hours so I think we're close?
Sounds close. Make sure to overproduce a bit to account for the occasional higher UV day. Or dial it in at 10 and never care if a random day loses 2 extra FC.

And. Once you are 'dialed in', you are on the lookout daily for the next adjustment time (up). The downfall of these things is the complacency they create. It was fine for the last 17 days so you skip a week. Guess when the UV / daily demand changes ?

Miss as many adjustment times as you want in the back half of the season as they get you more FC than you needed, not less. Those goofs are funny. FC is a 15 :scratch: whoopsies. :ROFLMAO:

Sounds close. Make sure to overproduce a bit to account for the occasional higher UV day. Or dial it in at 10 and never care if a random day loses 2 extra FC.

And. Once you are 'dialed in', you are on the lookout daily for the next adjustment time (up). The downfall of these things is the complacency they create. It was fine for the last 17 days so you skip a week. Guess when the UV / daily demand changes ?

Miss as many adjustment times as you want in the back half of the season as they get you more FC than you needed, not less. Those goofs are funny. FC is a 15 :scratch: whoopsies. :ROFLMAO:
ahahaha. Really hoping the autocover cut down on drastic losses but we'll see.

15! lol my husband was nearly freaking out over 5 - "is it safe?!". In his head high chlorine = red eyes and a smelly pool. I think he knows better now.

Really hoping the autocover cut down on drastic losses but we'll see.
It should. Make it prove it to you after the fact, don't go in expecting anything. Plan to lose 4 ppm a day and your minimum is 3. For now that makes your target a 7, or more. Play with it all you want once you are at one with your system and well versed in how it and your pool responds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.