New VGreeen motor and pump housing a week old, was dry after install, but now leaking.

eMac35

Gold Supporter
Jun 2, 2021
Austin TX
I replaced all the seals, etc, when I reassembled the pump and mounted to the new pump housing. Everything was dry for a week, but now I have water leaking from the bottom of the pump motor behind the 4 faceplate bolts. I did not replace the impeller itself, but did replace the shaft seal, the impeller ring, and the diffuser O-ring. Could the impeller be defective and causing the leak? Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

So it sounds like my only option is to disassemble and re-lube all the the seals with Jack's lube. Would you suggest I remove the impeller to check the shaft seal?
Always replace a seal when removing the impeller. Be sure the seal is not installed backwards, that is done quite frequently by DIY, unfortunately.
What pump is this? You NEVER lube a shaft seal. Gaskets and O rings, yes. If lube was put on the sealing face of a shaft seal it must be replaced.

Pump is VGreen 275. I replaced a TriStar SP3215EE. Are you referring to the shaft seal when removing the impeller? I watched several videos to make sure I did not install backwards. Videos said to put the shiny side of the shaft seal towards the white insert portion of the assembly. I didn't put any lube on the shaft seal, only rubber gaskets and O rings.

Pump is VGreen 275. I replaced a TriStar SP3215EE. Are you referring to the shaft seal when removing the impeller? I watched several videos to make sure I did not install backwards. Videos said to put the shiny side of the shaft seal towards the white insert portion of the assembly. I didn't put any lube on the shaft seal, only rubber gaskets and O rings.
Sounds like you did it correctly. Are you sure you installed the impeller screw (left hand threads)? They have to be installed. Without it, the pump will leak as you indicated.

I did not replace the impeller screw. Video said it was optional? Apparently not?

That's the danger of videos. I see this done too often and the results are a damaged motor if the leak continues. Without that screw, there is a hole straight through the impeller, completely bypassing the seal. The threads on the impeller do not seal against water. Nothing that the factory originally engineered and installed is optional.

Reactions: tstex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've got the screw and there a small black gasket at the top of the threads. I was planning to just expose the impeller and insert the screw. Or should I remove the impeller to check the shaft seal assembly, which is only a week old? Thank you very much 1poolman1 for all of your insight!!

I've got the screw and there a small black gasket at the top of the threads. I was planning to just expose the impeller and insert the screw. Or should I remove the impeller to check the shaft seal assembly, which is only a week old? Thank you very much 1poolman1 for all of your insight!!
Shaft seal should be fine, the missing screw wouldn't affect it. It is good policy, if you ever remove the impeller, to replace the seal and yours is too new for that. Just install the screw. Remember it is left-hand threaded, tightens by turning it to the left.

The old impeller screw must have snapped, because the the screw head was still in the center hole of the impeller. Hopefully that kept any water from getting to the motor. Was able to easily pop out the old screw head, and secure the new screw in place. Re-assembled, relubed O ring and gasket, and still have the leak. Aside from the impeller and diffuser, the only part that is not new is the seal plate. Thinking there may be a hairline crack somewhere on the seal plate. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Ordered a new plate on Amazon.

The old impeller screw must have snapped, because the the screw head was still in the center hole of the impeller. Hopefully that kept any water from getting to the motor. Was able to easily pop out the old screw head, and secure the new screw in place. Re-assembled, relubed O ring and gasket, and still have the leak. Aside from the impeller and diffuser, the only part that is not new is the seal plate. Thinking there may be a hairline crack somewhere on the seal plate. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Ordered a new plate on Amazon.
A snapped impeller screw is usually caused by someone trying to remove it by turning left, common error for those who don't regularly work on pumps. They are designed to break rather than strip the motor shaft. It is possible that overtightening the screw to the point of breaking could have also damaged the impeller. You need to examine it under a very bright light to see a crack in most cases. If it is cracked it needs to be replaced, can't be fixed.

When installing the new seal, do not touch the sealing faces. I use the handle of a screwdriver to push the ceramic portion into the sealplate after putting a VERY light coat of pool grease on it. For the bellows portion, lightly lube the impeller shaft so the seal will slide on easily.

That's all I can think of from 1500 miles away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.