Jun 11, 2017
Cedar creek tx
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Installed the new pump for this season. Old pump was a single speed whisper flow. My pool has a salt cell. I’m filtering for the same number of hours as however at a lower speed. So I’m noticing my chlorine is dropping quickly. I’m assuming that’s because lower speed means less water movement and ultimately less chlorine output. Are there rules of thumb on this?

If....your salt cell is producing at the same generation % for the same number of hours as your old pump then the amount of FC produced is the same regardless of the new pump speed / flow rate.
Daily FC demand is increasing as days are getting longer and pool use increases. I suggest you diagnose your FC loss by trying an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to determine first if you have an algae issue.
If no algae or high organic demand then your cells production may have declined and/or you need to increase your generation time to meet daily FC demand. If your FC is now low then use liquid chlorine to raise FC quickly and stay well within the proper range and well above the minimum for your CYA. FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: mknauss
I’m assuming that’s because lower speed means less water movement and ultimately less chlorine output.
That is not true. As long as the flow switch for the SWCG is satisfied the unit produces the same amount of chlorine regardless of flow rate.

Thanks for the clarification. My salt cell controller thinks I have low salt even though test kit says I’m at 3200. I think that’s creating my low chlorine condition. Will inspect clean cell to see if controller corrects.

Once I cleaned the cell the controller registers the salt level accurately. Thank you all for setting me on right path. The low salt reading shutting down the cell chlorine generation

Your water chemistry can be controlled to essentially eliminate calcium scale build up in your SWCG. Keep the CSI between 0 and -0.3

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.