New Variable Motor

markfj

Apr 30, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
I just swapped out an intelliflo motor with a vgreen 2.7 motor. Would like to know the best rpm and amount of time to set it to run at:
15-18000 gal pebbletec
2 pumps
Filter - new vgreen 2.7
In floor clean/waterfall: 1 hp intelliflo
Pentair Clean & Pure Cartridge 420
Had the filter running overnight due to time-of-use electric plan

Any thoughts, guidance, direction GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks

Run it at 1500 rpm for the time you ran your old motor.

Did your old motor prime fine? The wet end is the same and priming should not change.

The Intelliflo motor is rated at 16 amps and the VGreen is rated at 10.5 amps.

So, if you went to full speed, you would probably overload the motor.

You probably need to measure the current to find the top speed.

Measure the amps and increase the speed until it hits 10 amps and then you know not to go above that.

I'm lost here. Why would the V-Green not be able to hit full rpm and still be within design amperage?
They say that the motor is being used for an Intelliflo pump.

The impeller determines the amount of power needed at each rpm, flow and total head loss combination.

Since the original Intelliflo motor is rated for 16 amps, the new motor needs to be 16 amps or you have to downsize the impeller.

Limiting the rpm might be acceptable, but you would need to check with the manufacturer of the new motor to be sure.

Note: Assuming the Intelliflo was a regular Intelliflo and not an I1 or I2.

IntelliFlo i2 Variable Speed Pool pump is hydraulically engineered to provide maximum performance on a 15-amp breaker. It has a maximum rating of 11.8 amps

The i1 pump has a maximum rating of 7 amps, which helps make retrofits easier in applications that are limited by existing wire gauge size.

Last edited:
They say that the motor is being used for an Intelliflo pump.

The impeller determines the amount of power needed at each rpm, flow and total head loss combination.

Since the original Intelliflo motor is rated for 16 amps, the new motor needs to be 16 amps or you have to downsize the impeller.

Limiting the rpm might be acceptable, but you would need to check with the manufacturer of the new motor to be sure.

Note: Assuming the Intelliflo was a regular Intelliflo and not an I1 or I2.
So I'm about to bite the bullet on a V-Green 2.7 too and couple it to a Hayward super pump 1.5hp. Was told to upgrade the impeller to the largest Hayward impeller setup. Does it stand correct to do so? It's 11/2" pvc coming and going.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
073128 Impeller, i1 Pump 7.4 amps 1.65 total hp.
073131A Impeller, i2 Pump
073131 Impeller, IntelliFlo 13.6 amps 3.45 total hp.

Based on 13.6 amps, the speed to hit 10.5 amps would be about 3,165 rpm.

In any case, I would not go above about 2,750 rpm without measuring the amperage.

The Intelliflo is the same front end as a WhisperFlo.

The IntelliFlo comes with a 073131 impeller and a 072928 diffuser.

If you put a 2.7 hp motor on a 073131 impeller, the motor would be overloaded.

Impeller......Total HP.

If you go with a 2.7 hp VS motor, you want to use a 073130 impeller and the correct 072927 diffuser.

You also want a seal and gaskets.

Last edited:
So I'm about to bite the bullet on a V-Green 2.7 too and couple it to a Hayward super pump 1.5hp. Was told to upgrade the impeller to the largest Hayward impeller setup. Does it stand correct to do so? It's 11/2" pvc coming and going.
Correct. Go to the impeller that will work.

SPX1621C impeller.
SPX1616B diffuser.

Just limit the speed right away before starting the pump.

Reactions: wireform
So I have an intellifo WFE-6 pump...inyo told me that the vgreen 270 would be the right size motor...never said anything about the changing out the impeller...should I have done so...and I apologize but some of this thread is above me...apologize for my ignorance...

Thanks again for help/guidance!

The WFE-6 uses the 073129 impeller, which takes a 2.20 total hp motor.

So, that's ok.

The 073130 impeller would be slightly better, but it's not worth changing at this point.

The amount of flow is determined by what you want the flow to do.

For example, making the skimmers work, providing enough flow for a heater, SWG, solar, in-floor cleaner, fountain etc.

As far as filtering, there's no pre set amount of "turnover" required. You just filter enough to keep the water clear to what you like and what debris you get. Adjust as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.