New User - Q About Circupool Core 55

DJROSENTHAL

Mar 3, 2021
Maryland
Hi all,

This is a tremendous resource and I am so thrilled that I found it. I just purchased the Core 55 to convert my vinyl pool from chlorine tabs to salt water.

The folks at discount salt pool are touting the ease of installation of the Core, in particular that I can plug it into a standard outlet. But I have also read on this forum that I should tie it into the timer I use for my pump so that the primary fail safe is power and not the flow sensor.

Trying to determine the best setup and here are some considerations that are bouncing around in my head:

1. Core only moves in increments of 25%, which is somewhat of a downside, so I need to figure out how to manage that more precisely if necessary.
2. I have a new (last year) Pentair VS pump which has its own onboard timer, so I don't rely on the manual timer in the power box for the pump (though I suppose I could start using it again).
3. Perhaps the best approach out of the gate is to plug the Core into a 120 outlet (though I'd need my electrician to place one by the pool equip for me), and then attach another manual timer to that switch and sync that timer with the VS pump's schedule?

Thank you all so much for this fantastic resource and really dynamic community! I hope to one day learn enough to become a contributor and not just a consumer, but for now, I am absorbing as much as you all can share on this and many other topics.

DJ Rosenthal
Potomac, MD

Welcome DJ.
2. I have a new (last year) Pentair VS pump which has its own onboard timer, so I don't rely on the manual timer in the power box for the pump (though I suppose I could start using it again).
If you still have the existing timer connected to your electrical system, chances are the pump is wired to the line (incoming) terminals, bypassing the timed (load) connections. If that's the case, you could connect your SWG to the timed load side terminals of the timer. You would need to select a SWG that requires hardwiring, but you wouldn't need to install a new outlet. If none of this makes sense, there's lots of help here, but it may be best to hire an electrician or find a competent friend or family member to assist.

DJ,

Discount pool is relying only on the Flow Switch to protect you. No one else does this.. Our position is that all salt systems need to have two safety systems. You need both safety to make sure that you never operate the cell without water flow. Although it does not happen often, running without water can cause the cell to explode.

The Primary system is to remove power from the control box any time the pump is not supposed to be running. The Secondary system is the flow switch.

I suggest you use your old timer to control the power to your new salt system.

I am not a fan of the 25% increments, but you can also adjust the cell's output with pump run time. And you could also set the cell to 100% and then use your old timer to only run the cell long enough to generate the amount of chlorine you need.

Good luck with your new toy.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
I just purchased the Core 55 to convert my vinyl pool from chlorine tabs to salt water.
Sorry, I missed the part where you said you already bought it. You'll need someone qualified to install an outlet for you. They may be able to connect the outlet to the timer.

Last edited:
Pump manufacturers really need to consider having terminals (either line voltage or just a close relay) if the pump is running. It would make it so much easier to correctly wire SWGs. They probably don't because it might cut into their pricy automation systems.

I've read about others try to use current detecting relays to only power SWGs while there is a power draw on the pump, though it can be difficult to find a weatherized one with the correct sensitivity. Google search results Being able to detect that the pump is actually running, not just powered at the same time, is the safest method.

(I'm lucky since I have a "dumb" VSP with only a "countdown from power on" timer, that works in conjunction with an external timer that also controls the SWG.)

You can connect the Core up to your timer with no issues, you would just cut the end of the cable and connect it.. The Core has an auto switch from 110v to 220v so no issues connecting it to your timer ( page 15 of the manual )... I would set the timer to turn on the core 30 minutes after the pump turns on and off 30 minutes before the pump turns off... Or run the pump 24/7 and turn on and off the SWG just enough to get the amount of chlorine you need, this is the way I do it, just have the SWG on 100% and change the hours it is on... works great... :)

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
A quick question from a hopefully new SWG user. The use of this timer on the SWG, it is the same as unplugging it, correct? When the timer turns it back on, does it start working from the same settings as before? This is not hard on the unit to be essentially unplugged and then plugged back in all the time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
not bad at all, it will start where you have it set at.. Exactly the way mine has been running for 7 years :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.