New to the Pool Robotic world - The two finalist are ......

Jun 14, 2009
NOTE: I had the wrong model in my original post, the correct unit that I am considering is "Dolphin 99996403-PC Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner"

Hello all,

So after many days of combing the internet looking for advice on what pool vacuum to buy, because it seems like there are about a million different types, companies, models of pool vacuums which makes choosing a hard thing I have finally gotten it down to two models:

Nautilus PLUS with CleverClean

or

Hayward RC9990CUB TigerShark Robotic Pool Vacuum

For a while I was going to bite the bullet and go with the "Dolphin Supreme M500 Robotic Pool Cleaner", but lord is that unit expensive.

So I come to you guys to help me decide on the final product, just a little information about my pool:

33000 gallons, Vinyl, my biggest issue is leaves in the pool. Not a lot but enough to have to pull out the hoses (god I hate that hose :mad: ) and spend the next 1 hour and 1/2 vacuuming.

So what do you guys think ?

Thanks for the advise ....

That’s a big pool. I’m thinking the Dolphin M series. I would suggest you give Margaret Mills at Marina Pool Spa a call (tel:303-985-0077), before any final decision. She is very knowledgeable about the abilities of the different robots, and they have the absolute best prices on all the Dolphin models.

It’s far better to pick the right one first, even if it costs a bit more. When spending that much you really don’t want to be disappointed.

Thanks chiefwej,

But it isn't a little bit, the M500 is close to double the price and the M400 isn't to far behind.

I will give Margaret at Marina a call, hopefully they are running some sort of sale.:D

Cheifwej, are you saying my pool is to big for the two models I got it down two ?

Thanks for any advise ...

For your size pool the M400 would be worth it. It's mechanically identical to the M500 just without the longer cycle times, which in an 18x36 shouldn't be necessary.

Imo the Tigershark is a decent unit but it's really old tech. It's more or less the same architecture and programming Dolphin developed for their Diagnostic 2001 units in the late 90s. New Dolphins are leaps and bounds ahead of that 20 year old machinery. So if you really are going to choose between those two, go with the Nautilus.

HOWEVER, also for an 18x36 pool you could probably go with a S200 or S300 (or the Active equivalents). Not as expensive as the M series units, and a lot better of a robot than the Nautilus because it's more maneuverable and it has the top loading filter basket.

Thanks thebombardier ... from what I read the "Nautilus PLUS with CleverClean" does have a top loader (Sorry guys I might have put the wrong model I will correct in the body of the post)

Just a quick question about the "Tiger Shark", when you say older tech are you talking about the newer model they are advertising ?

Amazon.com : Hayward RC9990CUB TigerShark Robotic Pool Vacuum (Automatic Pool Cleaner) : Garden Outdoor

Also does anyone have a "Nautilus PLUS with CleverClean" that can comment, I have been looking at the "Best robotic cleaners" videos on "YouTube" and this unit has come up number one twice.

I tried to look for information on the "Dolphin S200 or S300" but could not find that many reviews or prices on these units, I couldn't find any on the "Active series".

Sorry I was thinking of the standard Nautilus when I wrote that. Yes, the Nautilus Plus is a top loader, and effectively identical to a M200.

And yes, the design of the Tiger Shark is basically the same as the Dolphin Diagnostic, which debuted in 1995.

The S200 and S300 (as well as the active series equivalents) are brick and mortar store only units, and you won't find pricing online. You have to buy it from a dealer. Or Doheny's sells the Discovery, which is pretty much the same as an S200. The only difference I know of is the S and Active series cleaners got swivels this year and I'm not sure of the Discovery has it.

Hello all,

UPDATE: So I spoke to Margaret Mills at Marina Pool Spa, and she recommended the "M400" unit which she does have at a decent price or at least the lowest I have seem it anywhere $999.

That price is still a little to steep for me so I asked her if there where any upcoming sales, she said that Maytronics usually runs a rebate program in May which would work out for because I don't usually open the pool until the week before memorial day.

So my question is: Does anybody know what the rebate has been in the past ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Per Margaret:
This info is from a factory rep. It’s tentative, nothing is certain yet.

“rebates won't go into effect until sometime after May 1st. He said he THINKS it's going to be $125 on the M500, S300i and A30i - $75 on the M400, S300 and S30i - $25 on the S200 and A20.”

He also said that they were for brick and mortar, local purchases only and that they would be comparing addresses of vendor with that of purchasers. (Although some who bought from her out of state did get their rebates last year.)

FWIW, I decided not to wait and hope for a possible rebate that I might be rejected for anyway. Marina’s price was good enough that I went ahead and bought mine.

Chief - I bought the S300i last year in April and missed the May $50 rebate. When I contacted Dolphin they said “sorry, doesn’t apply to your purchase” (I have to say their customer service responses lack a lot of tact...). It was $50 on an $1100 purchase so I really wasn’t too bent out of shape about it.

I hope you get it but I have my doubts...

Thurston, You should start your own thread.

You will get more responses, because your pool is gigantic and from what I am reading in these threads and the responses I have gotten about my pool the "M Series" would seems to fit.

That being said I don't own one this is just what I'm deducing from my responses.

It would be a no brainier for me to get the "M400", the only thing holding me back is the price of the unit.

That is why I'm looking at something that would work for me but a little cheaper or if I can get the "M400" for about $200 less, so I'm actually waiting for a sale + rebate to see where the price lands.

Hey, appreciate the response and I'm thinking you're right. I'm having trouble finding threads with people having pools as big as mine talking about cleaners. Really had no idea the pool was so big!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.