New to the forum and pool ownership

jblizzle said:
Not sure I understand your question ... but, once you have yours levels under control, the maintenance is quite easy.

Just watch the FC and pH and you should be able to enjoy a clear pool all summer.

Ok. I was just trying to figure out if there is anything in particular, other than daily monitoring, that I can due to ensure my FC level stays up. It sounds like with a CYA this high, shocking it might be a lot of work, so ill do my best to keep the FC level above 6. It doesnt sound like its a number that will have huge fluctuations on a daily basis as long as it is monitored regularly.

As far as acid goes, we are lucky to have a lot of pool stores and hardware stores around. I'll do some shopping.

Thanks again
Jeremy

Basically any time people swim or there is a lot of organic material tossed into the pool (leaves, grass clippings, etc) the FC level can drop more quickly than you expect. Typically I target my pool which has about a 50-55 CYA level @ 9ppm to give me a good amount of headroom. However this varies a bit with 8ppm being my lowest target level. I am however not living where the pool is and that impacts how I maintain it. (The pool is 5 mins from here but that is more than you think)

- Sent using Tapatalk

Yeah, I guess that's what I was looking for. I'll watch it closely especially after people swimm, or there is a bunch of junk in the pool. Im thinking for the level of cya I have, maybe I should shoot to maintain a level of 8. Do you see a problem with that, at least until the cya hopefully comes down over time, or is that over kill?

Raise it to 8-9ppm every time that way it will be above the minimum the next day you test and adjust.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

You'll soon learn how your pool responds, each is different. If the water doesn't look as sparkly as usual even though your numbers are good it won't hurt to bring FC up a little higher than usual and see what happens. Sometimes where the returns are pointed can make a difference, watch the pool and if something seems odd ask here and we'll help.

Hi Neighbor!

A few suggestions, several, in fact.

When I began with this new house with a pool a few years back, I started a Pool Book. It has all sorts of things that I learned from the pool inspector (flow paths, pressure to clean the filter, how to open skimmer and so on), from the TFP forum, notes on equipment specs, as well as phone numbers and hours of the local pool stores. Eventually I added costs of things I buy regularly. Funny how long it took me to notice that 10% pool shock from Warehouse Pool Supply was cheaper than 3 bottle boxes of Clorox from Sam's, per use. I was a bit smarter on the cost per use of calcium increaser vs. cal-hypo which increases calcium while adding chlorine. All those math things are in my little book.

I also have a file of the history of pool water testing. I made a spreadsheet that covers the data on the cover of the TF-100, and adds space for what I added and what I expected from that. That is; 2 cups of Muriatic Acid, target pH 7.6. Or 1 jug of 6%, target FC 7. Also notes like added 1" water, heavy rain and debris in pool, etc. This record will help you learn the pool faster.

Another thing I suggest, do a test of your tap water; test TA and CH and pH out of the tap. Then let it sit for 24 hours and retest pH. Don't bother with FC or CYA. Unless you may have chloramines instead of chlorine, you would want to know that in rare cases. If you can get a water test from the MUD district online, they may show that. If not you can test for CC and I think it will show up there.

There are times when you want to be aware of the difference between tap water and rain water in your pool. A normal wet winter here will drive CH and TA lower, maybe very low. It is easy to ignore the pool in the winter but you have to know what the rain may be doing to the chemical balance.

I noted that when you retested after refilling the pool by 2/3, the TA and CH were the same. That is a bit odd to me unless the tap water is at those same levels. Could be, not likely though. Often when you refill a lot of water you will have to rebalance and that is a cost to consider for me where tap water CH is only 20 ppm. And my tap water TA is at 220 ppm so a full refill creates a real need for more acid to control pH.

As for taking care of the pool.... you can do this. Save the cost of the pool service. And all the excess chemicals and water replacement that their sort of chemical management will create for you.

Dan, you're right, it'll take some time, but eventually ill get a good feel for how the levels fluctuate, specifically in my pool. I was nervous today when I tested my FC. I added bleach for the first time Tuesday afternoon, then left for work Wednesday morning. I do 24 hour shifts, and didn't get to do my daily tests until today, waiting till around 1300. I was surprised that my FC was still at my target level from when I had added the bleach two days ago. My FC was good, no CC, ph had not changed, and the water was beautiful! What is it about the higher FC that makes the pool sparkle more? Just being extra clean and sanitized?

Anonapersona, you are basically a neighbor compared to some of these folks! Thank you for all the info. I'll double check a couple of my numbers to make sure they're good. And while I'm still young, my memory sure isn't what it use to be, so I've been writing down EVERYTHING.

Thanks again to everyone for the help. I feel like I'm off to a great start!
Jeremy

Jeremy, the pool is pretty cold still now so that has a big effect. I'll admit to not testing but once or twice a week at this time of year. But that will change quite suddenly and can catch me off guard and I can get a blush of algae started that way.

As for that sparkle, that is what happens when the pool is happy. You will develop and eye for that sparkle. Then you will get to be a bit of a pool snob and refuse to go into any pool that does NOT sparkle. You will consider sneaking in your test kit, to check up on the neighbor's pool before you let your kids get it. We call that SPARKLYPOOLITIS. A common problem among TFP members. No cure for it, I'm afraid. Once you've got it, you've got it. On the upside, you eventually will know by looking at the pool when it is off a bit. A touch dull perhaps. You will run for the test kit to see what is going on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.