New to TFPC and testing

reba627

Bronze Supporter
Aug 6, 2021
Michigan
Hi all! This is my second full season as a pool owner (Sharkline 21’ round, 54” deep that was my Covid mid life crisis purchase in 2020 😂). This is my first year for DIY with the things. Already saved $250 by having a friend help me open it 2 weeks ago and just downloaded the Pool Math app and have the borax and washing soda on standby, and had just ordered a 5# bucket of Clorox chlorine tablets and a bucket of Arm & Hammer clarifying tablets, but once those are used I’ll be switching to bleach.

I have the TF-100 testing kit and have done 2 full tests this week, and trying to follow the recommendations. Left the solar cover off yesterday in hopes some of the chlorine would burn off (when the tablets in the floater weren’t doing much I moved them to the skimmer basket and then had really high FC levels).

I added the recommended Borax to correct the TA levels and my goal is to have a crystal clear pool like I’m seeing on here, but should I continue the regular full testing until I get everything sorted out and balanced or am I okay to just do the daily yellow/red vial testing in the kit?

Any advice is much appreciated. I have a hi speed pump and a sand filter and have solar heater panels that are not currently hooked up because last year they worked so well i came home after a weekend away in late august to find algae, so I don’t want to hook them up until I can find a way to truly have an on/off valve, not just one that reduces the amount coming in through the return.

The first photo was the first test I did (chlorine tabs in floater baskets) and the second and third are from yesterday where chlorine jumped to 9 (after they were in the skimmer basket and got moved out).

Just learning as I go and hoping that by the official first day of summer I’ll have everything balanced like a pro.

BEA2E2A4-6A51-4E99-94A8-5DFE20AAE68D.jpeg

Attachments

• A2683177-4806-4E88-8A98-B22C2CAC3FF3.jpeg
    A2683177-4806-4E88-8A98-B22C2CAC3FF3.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 5
  • AEB28614-F02B-47AA-B334-D1C32CA1592E.jpeg
    AEB28614-F02B-47AA-B334-D1C32CA1592E.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 4
Welcome! Remember to always go to theFC/CYA Levels when you have a question about your FC or CYA balancing. Look at the SLAM tab on that chart. As long as you are below the SLAM number for your CYA it's fine. Even at 9 your FC is fine and you can still swim.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

What test kit are you using? We recommend the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C kits (see Test Kits Compared for why).

Seeing a CYA reading of 35 makes me think that's either misreading the vial or the results are from a pool store. We don't put much credence in pool store testing -- it's notoriously unreliable. We can't make any recommendations based on pool store results.

You should see if you can return the pucks and clarified for a refund. The TFP care method doesn't use either one

While you wait for your kit to come, add 3 to 5 ppm FC to your water daily. Also do some light readinng: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Again, welcome to TFP! We're glad to have ya!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

What test kit are you using? We recommend the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C kits (see Test Kits Compared for why).

Seeing a CYA reading of 35 makes me think that's either misreading the vial or the results are from a pool store. We don't put much credence in pool store testing -- it's notoriously unreliable. We can't make any recommendations based on pool store results.

You should see if you can return the pucks and clarified for a refund. The TFP care method doesn't use either one

While you wait for your kit to come, add 3 to 5 ppm FC to your water daily. Also do some light readinng: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Again, welcome to TFP! We're glad to have ya!
Thank you! I have the TF-100 kit and I did all of the tests myself. Maybe I just have better sight than I thought and can see the black dot better? 😂

And for the FC is that just the 6% liquid bleach?

Welcome! Remember to always go to theFC/CYA Levels when you have a question about your FC or CYA balancing. Look at the SLAM tab on that chart. As long as you are below the SLAM number for your CYA it's fine. Even at 9 your FC is fine and you can still swim.
Thank you! Enjoying a beautiful day with 73 degree water :)

And is SLAM what will give me that crystal clear water I keep seeing in everyone’s photos here? Im working my way through pool school articles on here :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.