New to TFP

JER27

Jul 24, 2021
Newton, MA
Hi and thanks for this great resource and your knowledge! We just want to start understanding our pool more and doing more maintenance ourselves. This year we've had to replace the pump, the SWG (new one Apurem) and the heater (new one Hayward) and I wonder how much of that may be attributable to poor maintenance. We have a 15k gallon salt water, gunite pool that was here when we bought our house two years ago. To start with we're going to start testing the water ourselves as our company only comes every two weeks and from what I'm reading that's not enough. We have a Polaris and the water does always look clear and clean. I just read the section on water testing and tester kits. When I looked up the Taylor 2006C to order it I saw that they also offer a kit for salt water pools. Should we purchase that kit or will the normal 2006C be sufficient? The salt water option is more expensive but we'll get that if it's the best option and will be easier for us. The pool in general is in excellent condition and we want to keep it that way! Thanks so much! I'm going to have a lot of questions I'm sure as we undertake this and it's great to have this resource!

Welcome to TFP :)

The Salt water test. the Taylor K-1766 is needed for a SWG pool.. it is also the best way to test salt PPM..

The Taylor K-2006C is also a great test kit :)
Thanks very much for your quick reply! It's much more economical to buy the K-2006C and the K-1766 separately rather than the K-2006C SALT! So that's what I'll do - I can't see any difference except the 2006C SALT says FAS-DPD high range (Greek to me). Thanks again Cowboy Casey!

Prior to buying the K2006C and K1766, you might look at TFTestkits.net. The TF100 is designed for the residential pool owner and has all the tests that the K2006C has but in sizes more appropriate for your pool management. Add on a K1766 and a SmartStir and you will be very happy.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Prior to buying the K2006C and K1766, you might look at TFTestkits.net. The TF100 is designed for the residential pool owner and has all the tests that the K2006C has but in sizes more appropriate for your pool management. Add on a K1766 and a SmartStir and you will be very happy.
Thanks very much mknauss! I'm looking forward to trying to figure this out!