Trinity Test

Jun 22, 2021
Knoxville Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm no chemist (hence my user name) but I'm a very quick learner.
I bought a house with an IG vinyl pool that had a lot of issues. Once I got through the mechanical and electrical issues I started on trying to get the water under control. I made the mistake of taking a water sample to Leslie's and going off of their recommendations. They sold me a useless DPD test kit (after telling them that I need a full kit that tests for everything and was not looking to count on them for test results), 73% Calcium Hypochlorite Shock, liquid chlorine, soda ash, Leslie's No Phos and Leslie's Clear Aid Clarifier. I was given horrible advise that caused a massive algae bloom, massive acid spike and over a 50% forced drain and fill to get things under control.
I stumbled across this site and started a 5ppm chlorine dump each day after the sun went down and ordered a quality test kit. I'm waiting on the new kit to arrive but after 4 days of a half blind SLAM, I finally got the water clear. Alkalinity is holding at 7.5 and the FC is now sitting at 3ppm with less than 1ppm drop on an overnight FC test.
I can't yet tell what the other levels are aside from PH and FC with the kit that I have and I'm interested in seeing what kind of crazy things are going on in this water.
For being half blind by using the wrong kit, not being a chemist and more so making "educated" guesses than accurate calculations, I'm pretty proud of myself. The pool is not flammable, no toxic mustard gas has been created and not one mushroom cloud has been seen by the neighbors.
I will never go to a pool store for advise and I'm beyond greatful for what is available here and hungry to learn. I didn't want anyone else working on my pool but me and I will say that it was a journey finding the right source for learning.

I'll post some test results after I get the new kit and hope to find a way to not only have the clearest pool in town but to find a way to make it cost effective.

Thank you for the collective advise that has already helped so much and the new/additional advise to come.

Reactions: Oly
Dang TRinity Test 💥.... You had a Pool Guardian Angel looking over you after you goofed by going to Leslies. Lotions and Potions....that's all I hear they push on folks.
I look forward to you starting your new thread in "Just Getting Started" and telling us all your test levels and questions.
We've got your back!

Maddie :flower: