New to TFP

Dc1234

Jul 11, 2020
Houston
Just had a Gunite pool put in. im a noob but do most chemicals myself. I was using Leslie pools for some testing thinking they would be more accurate then doing it myself and a few measurments I dont do. I’m not so sure they Are any good so am going it alone. I use stabilized 3” chlorine blocks and now have cya at 70ppm. I live in Houston so it is sunny but I was wondering if this is too high? Should I switch to unstabilized blocks to stop the cya going higher?

Welcome to TFP.
Yes you need to stop using pucks. How are you testing? You need your properTest Kits Compared. Use liquid chlorine 10-12% to keep your FC levels according to this FC/CYA Levels. Please read up on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, also fill in your signature with your pool info, like mine so we can help you better.

Oh you silly new pool owner.....pool stores have questionable abilities at best and more an interest in making a sale of overpriced often unnecessary potions. :laughblue: We are more than happy to help you learn :)

Get and use your own test kit (I like the TF-100, cheaper than the K2006C equivalent), and use it religiously. Avoid using pool stores as confirmation as you probably won't get it. www.tftestkits.net

Maddie

Dc,

Welcome to TFP! After reading the reference materials you'll probably be looking for a liquid chlorine supply. Napco in NW Houston sells it in refillable jugs. I think HASA also does if you can find one close. It's by far the cheapest way to go. After years of jug lugging I switched to salt. Wish I had done that from the start.

Good luck!

Chris