New to TFP with 5 yr old pool

Jun 6, 2017
Crittenden/KY
Hello,
Every year we struggle to get our pool clear. We have a 30' AGP with a cartridge filter and the Aqua Smarte system (which I have been reading is a waste of money). Until this year I trusted the pool store we bought it from to test our water and recommend the correct chemicals to treat it. This year I so stressed about the pool that I got online to see where I can get help!

During the winter the winter cover blew off, dumping a ton of leaves into the pool. We replaced the cover but never removed the leaves. We opened the pool 3 weeks ago, started removing leaves, used the Shock from the store and used the "Pool Awake" system. The green went away for a little but the water was never clear and the green came back. The store said to do Alkalinity plus, test PH and add PH minus if needed then add shock. Now the pool is very cloudy. They said to add more PH minus, the chlorine is low and add clarification chemical, turn off after running pump for 10 hours then vacuum up the dead stuff after 24 hours. Still cloudy. I have spent over $300 on chemicals and we still haven't been able to swim in it. There also seems to be an issue with the Aqua Smarte system not putting chlorine in the pool since we have it all the way to 10 and the test strips still say there is nothing in the pool.

I know you can't help with my current situation since I don't have the proper testing kit (which I will be purchasing). But I would like advice on the Auqa system. Should we just stop using it? I have 8 of the darn Pac's sitting in the house and don't want them to go to waste.

Thank you!

Hi and WELCOME!!! You are going to love your pool once we get done with it!!!!

First off-yeah sell the pac :( I know you do not want to waste money but the minerals side of it will cost you more in the end. Maybe the store will take them back?

-second-order your test kit today. It should get to you fast as it comes from NC! Look in my siggy for where to order from AND get the XL since you need to do a SLAM......oh wait........what is a SLAM you ask?? I have a link for you to read and maybe even print out:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

While you are waiting on your test kit to get there you should be the rest of the stuff out of the pool. You can also add a jug of bleach (plain, household bleach, no pretty smells or splashless) each evening to keep it from getting any worst. Make sure the pump is running to help mix it up good.

If you have easy access to liquid chlorine at the pool store or such you can use that. Price out what works best for you in the long run.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.